1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB tuning

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by vectorious, Oct 30, 2005.

1. vectorious

vectorious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic TX32LXD500 with a freeview tuner.

It has set itself up and found a bunch of channels - including all BBC and E4+1, but it cannot find ITV, C4, C5 or even E4 (which seems perverse seeing as it gets E4+1)

I have re-scanned a couple of times and no luck

Do I need a new ariel? Is there anything else I can do?

thanks

2. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    It sounds as though you're picking up some Freeview multiplexes, but not others, which would indicate a prob with your aerial, but not necessarily that you need a new one. Perversely - as you say - E4 & E4+1 are on different multiplexes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview for a full list of multiplexes and the channels on them.

3. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Further to my comment above, what action you might take depends largely on your current aerial arrangements - eg outdoor, loft or indoor; standard or highgain etc. You might wish to look at the FAQs in the Digital section of the Confderation of Aerial Installers (CAI) Website, or perhaps even email them with your problem. Click on http://www.cai.org.uk/ (Have you had Freeview previously? If not, before taking drastic action, you may wish to note that reception does tend to be rather erratic, and subject to weather, electrical interference etc. So the missing stations could suddenly appear in a day or so.) Good Luck!

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    You could also try one (or even two) TV signal amplifiers such as the "Maxview" or similar. Sold in
    Wilkinsons stores, B&Q, Woolies, markets etc.

5. vectorious

vectorious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geofbob - thanks for the link - I shall try to find out some more!

It is a fairly big outdoor ariel, but not that new. I have not had freeview before so I might give it a week and then ring or e-mail CAI

Royold - good idea - Are there specific freeview ones?

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    No nothings special - just the ordinary TV signal boosters.

7. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem Vectorious. I'm on the Winter Hill transmitter. I can get the same as you... "found a bunch of channels - including all BBC and E4+1, but it cannot find ITV, C4, C5 or even E4". It did find it at one point, but it wouldn't stick on the picture. Looks like a broken DVD!

What I can't comprehend is why it wont find ITV1, when ITV thru my RF ariel is the best analogue picture out of all the five terrestial stations. I presume its something to do with the digital signal. Can somebody confirm this?

I'll follow the advice you gave to vectorious and see if I get anywhere!

Very, very frustrating when you go out and buy a new telly. I even bought the Sharp 37P50E as its optimized for PAL :(

8. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an update: I spoke to a CAI guy. He said its 100% likely to be the ariel. £110 fitted with guaranteed perfect digital reception. This includes a new ariel and cable straight to the box.

Question is...£110 to improve picture, £150 for a decent pvr...Hmmm should I just get sky?????

Dave