DVB Tuner help for Noobe Please

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Deleted member 92943, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone :hiya: I have question i need answering if it's alright.

I have a Panasonic TX-32LXD500 LCD with built in Freeview and i get a decent picture but i have nothing to record onto

I was thinking of buying a Digital Freeview card or something and hooking it up through Windows Media Centre which also will eventually be hooked up like everything else to my Xbox 360.

I intend to do this so that i have the option to record but here's my question

Is the picture i will get through the PC be better or worse than what i get on my TV's built in Tuner? If it likely to be worse then i probably won't bother.

Would i be loosing alot of quailty as i would be recording onto the PC (in best quality) viewing it through Media Centre on my Xbox which is connected to my TV via component

Thanks for your help

Lee :thumbsup:

2. Vonzack

Vonzack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not really sure what you're asking, are you going to be using the Media Center to just record DVB-T and then play it back through the XBox 360 as a Media Extender, or is the MC going to be driving your LCD?

Whatever you're doing, I expect that the PQ will be worse than using the panels in-built tuner. The differences will be down to how the scalers work, transforming an SD picture up to fit a HD panel. You might see a big difference, no difference or think that the media center is doing a better job, it all depends on what drivers and software you are using on your MC to re-construct the MPeg2 signal. For me I can see no real difference between the panels tuner and output from my MC (using VGA 1368 x 768 with a 6600GT and Nvidia PureVideo codec).

Unless you are using the XBox 360 as an ME, then I don't see why it should be connected to anything but the panel.

DVD playback is stunning from an MC on this panel, at least as good if not better than a high end player.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters for you.

3. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be using my Xbox 360 as a media extender as it means that i can have my games, tv, photos, music and everything else accessable in one place.

I believe that you can control media centre through your xbox as long as the pc is on.

The i would like to be able to turn by xbox on go to recorded TV and hit play which will be sent through the xbox's Component cable to the Pannel

4. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    MCE DVB-T should be equal to any STB or built in tuner. In fact, I'd say mine is a tad better than my Telewest cable feed.

D.