1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB-T tuners in upcoming DVD recorders only work in UK?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JoseD, Aug 17, 2005.

1. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. I was really disappointed to know that the DMR-EH60 will only have a DVB-T tuner in the UK :mad: Is this because of differences in the systems used or just pure marketing bull... :mad: ? I know that channels 21-69 on uhf work the same on Spain and UK but what about VHF ? ....

I guess I'll end up ordering my DVD recorder from the UK, screw them :D

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A number of countries use or plan to use DVB -
    "500,000 DVB-T Receivers Sold in France ... in first three months" is taken from http://www.dvb.org/

This makes Pioneer's statement that a DVB equipped DVD recorder would have to be UK-specific seem a bit lame.
    I guess there could be variations as in PAL, and for years France was SECAM-specific within Europe. But I wonder what Pioneer are up to? The GuidePlus gizmo is a neat solution tht deals with all sources (Satellite, Cable, DVB) but it's a bit of a clunky approach as it always needs the other box and has to be updated to keep up with the other box properties. Perhaps it's a hangover from component Hi-Fi.

3. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EH60D will have a PAL-I analog tuner, the rest of europe uses a different system (PAL B/G/D/K) Via analog you'll be able to see the picture but not get any sound in Spain. I think it is also UHF only since it's a long time since they had VHF TV in UK.

Some other makes have more flexible analog tuners. For example Pioneer's have PAL I/B/G/D/K analog tuners. I suppose when they add digital tuners they'll be more suitable for the rest of Europe (if you can wait that is).

You need to check the carrier and modulation modes of the EH60D's digital tuner- there's no guarantee it will work with other DVB-T systems outside of UK.

4. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked panasonic UK whether the EH60D would work in the rest of Europe. Here's their reply:

>>In response, the DMREH60D can only receive UK digital terrestrial
    transmissions. It can only receive the PAL I UHF band 21-68.<<

That's a shame because I wanted to buy one in UK and take it to Finland.

5. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    another reason for 'separates' !! - until the whole world has the same TV standard, it just wont be that financially feasible to 'build-in' ...

6. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was thinking about doing the same. Shame really.
    They could easily add the option of adding a DVB-T tuner later but I don't believe they'll do it...

7. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anybody in the UK should hold on just a bit longer as new machines with Digital Terrestial Tuners/Hard Discs/Removable Discs are on their way.
    New Sonys due in September and October (see other threads) and others on the way. :smashin: