1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB-T PCI card that run's without being a super heater !!??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dunkwho, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just finished putting my new dedicated htpc together ... all lovely jubbly (must remember to update my sig specs ! :rolleyes: ) but its running very hot. I'll have a dig through forum posts and maybe start a new thread for general cooling advice but one thing that did suprise me was how hot both my dvb-t cards are ... can't be helping my problems! I've got a blackgold card and an old style nova-t (technotrend), anyone have any better experience and recommend an mce approved cool-running dvb-t card - or are we all in the same boat?

Cheers
    Duncan.

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    You could always use a USB device so that any heat generated is not inside the PC case.

3. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    True .. thought about that this morning :) Not as eligant tho ... I want\need 2 dvbt tuners so 2 boxes (possibly 3 with a hub) hanging around the back of an already busy TV stand is a step in the wrong direction ! :(

Cheers tho
    Duncan

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On a bit of a tangent, is there much a difference between the 2 cards ? Which one is better ?

Richie.

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Make that 6 boxes as there will probably be a power supply for each!

I don't have any DVB-T cards but have several DVB-S which are basically the same technology & they all run hot too. The only solution is a nice big airy case with some large quiet fans.

6. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Rich - no not really, I can't tell which one I'm watching. I did have a state a few months ago when both wouldn't work together but its been fine recently - not sure if the new technotrend drivers I'm now using helped or if MCE just took a moment :)

Nigel - argh ... no power over usb ... thats useless ! :D

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You can get a single very long USB2 lead out of your main box and into the hub, then keep the USB hub, the tv cards, the tv aerial leads and all the power leads somewhere else in the room all hidden away... mine are under my hi-fi rack, and it actually looks neater because I just have one thin USB2 lead running up to the pc case.

I have got a 12 way power extension gang - surge protected - quite big, but at least its out the way.

lisa

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So not only do you need a case with fins, you need a big 'airy one too ?! I tell you the WAF factor would be zero as it'd look like a tarrantula ! :D

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Yep them Nova-T cards do get Hot, I got two of them side by side and with a graphics card heat sink next to one of them and an Audigy 2 next to the other, I got an aluminium desktop case, and it's very warm when I touch it, when I open it them Nova-tcards are hot, I got no fans though to cool them, just a 6CM one next to the graphics card, but they have not died on me yet, I am considering taking one out and adding a USB 2 version, does anyone know if the black gold cards get very warm?...

10. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    yep - possibly warmer !