1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB-T or Sky Digibox via Hauppauge 350?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by DaveP, Aug 16, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the Black Gold card in my MCE machine and whilst the pq is pretty good it is not as good as the picture from my Sky digibox. I think this is a problem inherrent in the restricted bandwidth available to Digital Terrestrial broadcasts.

I'm considering setting up a dedicated sky freesat box to use with the capture facilities of the 350 PCI card. The digibox will have s-video output.

The question is: will the pq captured via s-video into the Hauppauge card be better than the pure digital stream produced by the Black Gold card?

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two?

Thanks

Dave

2. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I haven't had the experience of a DVB-T card I do have sky digital and a freeview box which to me the picture looks identical try a regular freeview box perhaps thats the best quality you can obtain from the card if not maybe your in a low signal area.
    I use SKY into a PVR-350 and then use a RGB-SVIDEO converter from maplins and I am very happy with the quality to me is equally as good as the direct feed to the TV.
    I can't be bothered to pay another £10 to sky for an extra box and have dual tuners I just do all my recording on my sky in MCE then any conflicts I get are from the mrs wanting to watch the soaps so I do as any real man does let her watch her sops on freeview direct feed to tv then records my shows :)

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    That's something i've always wondered, would a sky box fed to a top of the line tv tuner (Theater 550 Pro) via svideo be better than a DVB-T card....,I've considered picking up an analogue tuner to test it but then I would have to buy an RGB to svideo converter, not worth the money for a test..

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the opportunity to compare Sky sat and freeview side by side and I find the satellite picture far superior to freeview on the quality channels that use the full bandwidth available.

I don't want this to become another satellite is better than freeview thread!

I'm pleased with the reply from evolution400. In retrospect I perhaps should have asked if the captured pq was as good as or nearly as good as the original!

Dave

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I find the capture picture quality perfect no break ups, blcokyness at all I owned a liteon DVD recorder for about 2 weeks before I bought my MCE pc and the recording on that was blocky even on full quality mode I usually do all my recordings on "good" quality and I find that still acceptable no blockyness or break ups etc and then I use Sonic Deluxe which you can use to put your recorded tv onto dvd in proper dvd format along with menu so you can play the recordings on any dvd player.
    I think my direct feed to the TV which is RGB then my SVIDEO > PVR-350 is equally as good, my mrs actually thinks its better all she uses is media center I have her well trained :)

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Wonders if I should spend that £200 on a TV aerial installation..., but I don't want two sattelite boxes running contant...

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying that the Theater 550 Pro is a better capture card than the Hauppauge 350?

Dave

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Well yes, go look for some reivews, it has a 12Bit video deocoder compared to your 10, or something like that and a 3D comb filter....also it encodes to 2 Channel AC3 Audio...

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The quality of DVB-T captured with a PC card is definitely better than that of Sky via a digibox. One basic reason is that you are recording the MPEG2 bit stream direct to disk & when you replay it's identical to broadcast. The analogue (at best s-video) output is taken from the digibox then encoded to MPEG2 in hardware with the capture card. The other advantage of DVB-T cards is reliable channel changing as you don't need to faff about with an IR bug stuck on the front of the digibox.

Don't get me wrong the quality from Sky can be pretty decent but is not as good as DVB-T & certainly inferior to DVB-S. Unfortunately MCE doesn't support DVB-S so we can't use MCE for even the Free To Air DVB-S channels.