1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB-T Htpc ?!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by db298, Mar 2, 2005.

1. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It seems to be really difficult to determine which TV card to use for my HTPC setup. I haven't determined which software to use either, but when I throw into the mix that I want it to handle DVB-T freeview signals, it all gets too complex :rolleyes:

So, can anyone recommend a DVB-T capture card, and some HTPC software that works well with it ? Surely lots of people are out there with this sort of capacity ?

2. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know absolutely nothing about this subject, but somebody I know suggested for me Black Gold TV MCE .... I am not even sure if this is what you are asking for :)

3. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Black Gold is recognised as a good card, but then the next question is which PVR/HTPC software specifically supports it ?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy the card with the software it will cost, IIRC, £10 more.

If you are running XP Media Centre Edition you won't need any extra software!

I'm not sure it will work with any other software! I'm sure someone else will be along to say for certain.

Dave

5. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Nebula is also well considered. The problem is with finding HTPC software (other than MCE) which will support any of them... I don't really want to be executing proprietary software from each card, even if it has PVR fuctionality - I want a fully integrated media front end.

I am correct in thinking that you still can't buy MCE retail ?

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You CAN buy it but it has to be with some hardware. The best bet is to buy from ebuyer. Go for the MCE Remote and buy the OS with that.

Dave

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    Apparently the Nebula is considered best quality, but not yet supported by MCE2005, but will be soon (May) when new drivers are ready... next best quality is Black Gold / the same card as the Sweetspot MCE.

This information is from research rather than practical experience mind... I have tried some cheaper cards in MCE and although the functionality is good, was not that happy with PQ, I am going to wait for the Nebula to be MCE ready I think.

If you try any others out let us know how you get on?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  8. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Mediaportal and Hauppauge Nova-T work OK together - check out the forums

9. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for replying Starfire. I'm not sure about mediaportal - I've tried it recently and found the interface to be a little clunky and unintuitive.

10. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My Black Gold cards (2 for dual tuner capabilities) arrived this week so I hooked one up last night. Using MCE 2005, nvidia decoders and DVI-HDMI to the plasma the picture was better than the freeview box I'd tested and better than my digital NTL (component in via JS tech RGB>Component).

MCE is a great front end and it is great to be able to pause live tv, record at the touch of a button. The program guide is excellent, so much better (and faster) than anything NTL have ever offered. I'm hooked!

11. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm just going down this road myself - I plan on MCE05 with dual freeview cards (one blackgold, one conexant) with a radeon for RGB scart and hopefully component output to my PJ. Alternatives to mce05 are beyondtv and showshifter (SS didn't have dual dvb-t support last time I looked, but it was coming).

Most cards come with some sort of PVR too. Pinnacle 300i, hauppage nova-t - I'm pretty sure both of these come with useful software in the retail packs.

Duncan

12. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was also having this same problem making a decision partly because I wanted a good PVR as well.

I thought MCE didn't work in the UK with this function but Hutters seems to think it's great so it looks like Black Gold for me.

Will this work with the MCE remote does anyone know?

13. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    if you take a wander over to the tivocommunity.com forums, look in the uk other chat forum and read through the "mce05 experiences" thread you should get a nice warm feeling this is worth a punt. mce works fine with dual cards (now, it didn't originally as I understand it), the remote works fine, etc etc.

14. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yep, no probs in setting it up (apart from my nvidia codec trial period had expired!). Install the drivers, shutdown machine, install card(s), restart, windows installs digi card, launch MCE, go to My TV and go through the setup process. You put your postcode in and it asks you to select which transmitter your aerial points to from a list that is applicable to your postcode then it tunes in the channels and then you download the EPG. From within the EPG you can schedule recordings, either timed or based on keywords :thumbsup: so you can leave it to record anything that might be of interest to you.

I only installed one of the cards last night as the pc i'm playing with did not have enough PCI slots to install two, so i've yet to see how the dual tuner works.

15. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody used the Black Gold cards in a weak freeview area ? Currently have a Netgem I-Player which has pretty good reception, but loses signal in poor weather. Just heard some DVB cards are better than others for dealing with weak signals

Cheers Dave

16. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a fringe area and I can confirm the Black Gold works better than the Nebula card. I get breakup on ITV, Channel 4 and Five etc with the Nebula but perfect reception with the Black Gold. The Black Gold doesn't do Radio though (when using MCE) whereas the Nebula does when using it's own (free) software - DigiTV.

Dave

17. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Using the Black Gold with WinDVD6 and getting a really good picture.

MCE06 should address the radio problem

18. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Did a bit more searching on the web last night & found this very informative thread on the cards . Think I would have to check how well it works with 1 card before considering 2, based on weakening of signal.

19. Mikdasa

Mikdasa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ran a single nova-t for a few months with mce 2005 and found the drivers to buggy. now up and running with 2 black golds and i'm very happy. i have to use 2 signal booster but even still the pic and sound are great.

would recomend.

Mikasa

20. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    The Nebula card also has a very nice front end for using on a TV.

The other problems with using MCE and a DVB-T card are that MCE doesn't support radio, MHEG (? text) and some other stuff which Nebula pointed out when I asked about driver support :)