DVB-S2 and DVB-T Combo - advice pls

unkletom

Standard Member
Folks,

my wife is desperate to buy a freeview box incl. hard drive so she can record all her favorite tv channels from terrestrial tv. Rather than splashing out £150-£200 on a freeview box, I'd rather invest in a combo that does freeview and HD sat / freesat. I am currently using a Dreambox 7000 with a motorized dish so the new box would have to be equipped with DiSEqC 1.2

I am looking for something future-proof such as the Qbox HD and Metabox HD but they're a little pricey at around €400.

Could anyone give me some advice on Freeview / HD Sat combos?

Many thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

bob1

I don't know anything about either the boxes you mention but i did a lot of looking myself before i got a dreambox dm7025.
With all of the cheaper boxes you couldn't even record one channel and watch another, all you could do was watch the channel you were recording, the epg was just now and next even on freeview, i would think that you would want at least those features.
I had a quick look and the Qbox HD might be your best bet ,i suppose it depends on the support for it on the internet ,without that it could be poor.

There is no such thing as a future proof box unless you can change or add new tuners to it. Freeview HD will be launching over the next two years and at present no receiver has tuners compatable with it.

bob1

What format will freeview hd service be in ?
Are you saying that the current hd freeview receivers won't be any good either.
The Qbox HD will have plugin receivers including hd ones for cable and terrestrial.

Ben

What format will freeview hd service be in ?
Freeview HD will require a DVB-T2 tuner, which aren't available yet.

Are you saying that the current hd freeview receivers won't be any good either.
Correct, at least not for HD broadcasts in the UK anyway.

The Qbox HD will have plugin receivers including hd ones for cable and terrestrial.
DVB-C is fine for HD cable, and you'll probably be able to add a DVB-T2 tuner for HD terrestrial - once they're released :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom