1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB-S support in media center 2005

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by meansizzler, Sep 3, 2005.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
  2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    From a bit of research & other postings I have seen it looks like this is a Hauppauge hack & not supported by Microsoft. It probably pretends to be a DVB-T card which _is_ supported. It's welcome anyway for those of us outside the range of Freeview reception & I am sure that I shall buy a couple.

It's a big pity that they didn't do the card with a CI so that you could use subscription cards in it. I've been using a Technotrend Budget with CI card with their latest BDA drivers & application & the performance is very impressive with a Dragon CAM & Sky card. Very fast channel changing, multi-LNB support with DiSEqC control plus totally stable & reliable which is first for any DVB-S software that I have found. Now if only TT would produce an MCE hack for that card & software.

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    So, what is DVB-S - Satellite? You can plug a satellite cable in with no need for a set top box? That will make life easier for Sky users, do Sky approve?

lisa

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Sadly this support in MCE is Free To Air satellite only which does include BBC1/2/3/4 ITV3 plus one or 2 other interesting channels like Performance. Here is a list of what is available mostly consisting of shopping channels http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html

Totally unofficially & not sanctioned by Sky it is possible to use a Sky card in a Dragon CAM (Conditional Access Module) which is the card reader that plugs into the Common Interface (CI) slot on a standard DVB-S receiver or a PCI card that has a CI slot.

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    They have a card with the CI, so you can use the Dragon CAM with a subscription card....,eg SKY, they make two versions of the DVB-S

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Yes like the freeview card the DVB-S card acts like a decoder box just plug in the sattelite and you have access to 100's of european channels, from European Sattelite providers in Germany as well as some asian countries, even a few HDTV channels, like SKY and BBC uses the ASTRA Sattelite, with a DVB-S card you have access not to just Astra but other sattelites such as the Eurobird and HotBird, so you pretty much get the biggest range of channels compared to any commerical cable/sattelite provider...you can even subscribe to subscription channels by purchasing a card like a sky card form the relevant subscriber and a specific CAM "conditional acess module" which the cards plugs into, and is used to decrypt it then you need to get a module to attach the CAM to the PC "CI Module", anyway unfortunatley SKY is not supported, well not officialy as they don'y give away there KEY so a CAM can decode there card, but there is a CAM known as the Dragon CAM which once tweaked can decode a SKY Subscription card, but it is not guaranteed..anyway ther are loads of channels out there that a free from news to documentries to sports and even a few movie channels, most of them non english....but nice to know we have the option in media center now.

Sadly non of the channels we come to know like SKY One and Sci-Fi and MTV are available to us on DVB-S well unless you have a SKY box and subscription card as only SKY are licensed to carry these channels...

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    They do at least two cards with CI on a daughter card the Nexus-S & Nova-S. The latter is a badged Technotrend Budget card. I have one of these & it works very well with the TT application & 'My Theatre' but does not work in MCE. The pictures of the new cards (Nova-S-Plus & Nova-SE2) on the Hauppauge forum show no connector for the daughter card & in any case it appears that Hauppauge are only promising MCE support for FTA channels. I suspect that they are pretending to MCE that the DVB-S card is actually a DVB-T card. Unfortunately MCE does not support CI on any card so e.g. you can't get a TopUpTV card for DVB-T to work within MCE.

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    [​IMG]

Is that parralel connector on the first card at the far right not the CI module connector

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Possibly although what I have on my TT Budget model (aka Nova-S) is a 50 pin connector like a SCSI-1 socket.

More interesting photos intended for the Press can be found here http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/press/press_pictures_digital.html
    Scroll down to the WinTV-Nova-S-Plus & take a look. There appears to be an MCE version with an s-video & composite plus L/R audio inputs.

10. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Will these be compatible with the forthcoming Sky HD broadcasts? If you can get it to decode Sky.

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Who knows? The technical details of the Sky HDTV offering are still a bit vague (MPEG2? MPEG4?). My Technotrend Budget (same as Hauppauge Nova-S) receives the HDforum test channel on Hotbird fine. The picture quality is great. There is no knowing whether the Dragon CAM will allow you to use your legitimate Sky next week as BSkyb could deliberately change their protocol. At the moment it's nice bonus for all the other uses of a Dragon CAM.

In any case MCE only supports the US version of HDTV & I don't believe that there are any plans to change that support.

Presumably when the BBC finally roll out their HDTV offering it will be Free To Air on satellite like all their existing channels.

12. jelockwood

jelockwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sky HD will be using DVB-S2 (not DVB-S). It will also be using MPEG4 not MPEG2 (which current Sky uses). As far as I am aware these facts have officially been confirmed.

I have also read (but I am less sure this is official) that the encryption scheme (and that means the viewing card and CAM) are exactly the same as the current Sky systems. So at the moment it looks like a Dragon CAM plus Sky viewing card would be ok.

However at the moment I have found ZERO DVB-S2 products available and also no indication of MPEG4 support.

Bear in mind that Microsoft are still 'officially' limiting us to Ye Olde Analogue (they don't yet even officially support DVB-S let alone DVB-S2).

Other than the Hauppauge cards mentioned here (which are limited to free channels only) you would be better off looking at MediaPortal which has much better support for DVB-S cards and people are already using cards with CAMS to get Sky (not HD).

13. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Just found an update on MCE support with these new cards. As I suspected their driver is pretending to be a DVB-T card to MCE. The bad news is that currently they are only supporting a single card, Astra 19.2E & Germany as a location http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=5067

The transponder details appear to be a simple text file that gets embedded in the registry so I am assuming that it would be a pretty straightforward job to edit the file with details for Astra 28.2E & UK location. It's a start at least.