DVB-S or DVB-S2

andyell

Standard Member
Ive been searching for a while now on info for Freesat HD but not found anything 100%. For Freesat HD can I use DVB-S card for now or has all Freesat HD content gone DVB-S2 already. Sorry if this has already been answered many times I just couldn't find the posts.

imilne

DVB-S is fine for all Freesat HD channels (and SD), and for Luxe HD, which although not part of the Freesat lineup can be received too.

jameson_uk

Ive been searching for a while now on info for Freesat HD but not found anything 100%. For Freesat HD can I use DVB-S card for now or has all Freesat HD content gone DVB-S2 already. Sorry if this has already been answered many times I just couldn't find the posts.

The info is here but probably hidden in some other threads.

As it stands BBC HD and ITV HD are both DVB-S. All HD pay TV is DVB-S2 and it is posible the FTA channels will move to DVB-S at a later date.

Given the price premium for a DVB-S2 card I don't see if being worth it yet; even just to future proof everything. You can get a DVB-S card for £25 and will do BBC HD and ITV HD.

andyell

Standard Member
Cheers Guys

1 last thing Is 4HD on DVB-S

Ignore that just looked up Freesat listings.
why is 4HD only on sky? I have scrapped sky to much money for a bucket of repeats and the odd good film.

Last edited:

jameson_uk

1 last thing Is 4HD on DVB-S
I think this is down to licensing but 4HD is DVB-S2 but is encrypted (if FTV not FTA) You would need a Freesat by Sky card to decode this but that starts to get very messy and expensive.

If at the end of Channel 4's current deal with Sky it does go FTA then you will need a DVB-S2 card but as I said above a DVB-S card is sufficient now and if this does happen in the future then by then DVB-S2 cards might be cheaper

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom