1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB-S Card that works with MCE.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by evolution400, Oct 10, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running a SS2 with MCE thanks to a new plug-in from Crypto @ DVB Portal. Still only in beta form undergoing testing etc. but looking very promising.

:smoke:

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    I had a look at the plugin from DVB-Portal. I thought that I had a SS2 among my collection of DVB-S cards but it turned out to be a Technotred Budget. Anyway as far as I know the plugin allows you to access DVB-S from within the MCE interface but doesn't integrate with the EPG or allow you to set up recordings. Please correct me if I'm wrong Kramer.

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Yes, there is a new card from Hauppauge currently only available in Germany. It supports FTA satellite channels in MCE http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4865

It works by pretending to be a DVB-T card thus the channels must appear in the DVB-T EPG if you want to have channel information but it will still find all the channels even without a programme guide.

Evidently at present the drivers only supports MCE with German channels from Astra 19E http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=5067

I believe that it will be relatively straightforward to support UK channels from Astra 28.2E. ITV1&2 will be FTA very soon so even though it's only the FTA channels it should be pretty decent when it is OK for UK. I have just ordered a card from Germany so wil keep the forum posted as to how I get on.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, no recording or EPG facility yet but implimenting these shouldn't be too difficult once the plugin is stable etc. The lastest version records in MCE's format.

:smoke:

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    It only works with a SkyStar 2 doesn't it? Is it just FTA channels or is it possible to use a CI/CAM & card?

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Just an update on my experiences with the Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus within MCE. It caused me a lot of head scratching at first as it didn't appear to pick up any of the Astra 2D channels. I eventually realised that it didn't pick up any of the first dozen frequencies that are mapped to DVB-T MUXes (maybe this is a UK DVB-T thing). Once I had changed to a mapping starting with the 15th channel it found them all fine. Also needed to change & add frequencies to the provided file for 28.2E.

The lastest software & drivers are available from http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/de/chelsea/88x_2_108_23237_inf.zip
    http://www.hauppauge.de/files/dvbs-reg.zip

It's a real pain managing & deleting all the hundreds of unwanted channels & then shuffling around the channels & then mapping the channels to the EPG data but I now have a system set up with BBC1/2/3/4 ITV1/2/3/4 plus News from ITV/BBC/CNN/Sky/Euronews plus Performance plus the various radio channels like BBC1/2/3/4/5/5xtra/6/7 etc

I have even tried it with an LNB switch & adding all the FTA channels on Hotbird & it seemlessly handles switching between the two dishes. Bottom line is it works great once set up with no problems with changing channels on the digibox.

Now that I eventually have it all working I need to pull out the card & reconfigure as apparently the Technotrend Budget Card BDA MCE drivers now have support for the CI & CAM so I need to try & get this working so that I can use my Dragon CAM & Sky card.

8. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Keep us informed about your progress with the technotrend nigel I would be very interested in a DVB-S card that works with the Sky Card and Dragon CAM with MCE.

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    COuld someone please post some screenshots of PQ quality of the BBC and ITV channels, make sure there in .BMP format, I have webspace if you need it..

10. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is Ch5 FTA now or just BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Ch4?

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Five is not FTA & neither is Channel 4 but BBC1/2/3/4/News 24 plus ITV1/2/3/4/News are plus a few others.

12. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    The picture quality will be just the same as outside MCE using any other DVB-S software e.g. Technotrend or Hauppauge SW supplied with card.