• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

DVB-S and DVB-T cables/connectors

Colin London

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm not sure whether I have DVB-T (Freeview) or DVB-S (Freesat) at my flat. What's the easiest way to find out?

I was looking at the cable coming from the aerial/dish (I actually can't find out which it is) and it's a coaxial cable like this: http://image2.onlineauction.com/auctions//24253/pjgb-1063251-1.jpg

Does this mean it's Freesat?

Excuse my newbie question. I hardly ever use or watch TV programs.

It's an F-connector. These are usually used for satellite or cable TV connections to a decoder box.

So assuming you are sure that you don't have Cable TV in your flat is is probably a connection for a satellite decoder.

Standard aerial connections (for connection direct to a TV) usually have a Belling-Lee connector:

TV aerial plug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incidentally, in one of my old flats I had both - the F-connector was for a Cable TV box. I reterminated the cable on this with a Belling-Lee connector and was able to watch the unscrambled Analogue Cable TV channels for free.

moogoat

Novice Member
I took another look. There's a regular antenna on the roof and one dish. I have two cables coming out of my wall, one being the dish (installed by Sky but I don't use that anymore). The other one has the same connector (F-type) but I'm pretty sure it's coming from a regular antenna.

Is that possible? I mean that an F-type connector is coming from a normal antenna?

If so can I use an F-to-Coax plug adaptor and receive freeview from this?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I took another look. There's a regular antenna on the roof and one dish. I have two cables coming out of my wall, one being the dish (installed by Sky but I don't use that anymore). The other one has the same connector (F-type) but I'm pretty sure it's coming from a regular antenna.

Is that possible? I mean that an F-type connector is coming from a normal antenna?

If so can I use an F-to-Coax plug adaptor and receive freeview from this?

Most decent terrestrial equipment these days use F connectors because of their better performance. The Belling Lee plug was designed back in the 30's when the mismatch at 75ohm did not matter at the relatively low frequencies used at that time. Just screw a F to Male coax adaptor to the end. Whether you can use it for freeview or not depends on what's connected at the other end.

moogoat

Novice Member
Ok I'll do that.

Believe me I'd rather use the F and Freesat but hardly any of the new TVs have Freesat HD tuners in them - just Freeview HD.

None of Sony's new range have Freesat, not even the Signature range. Stupid.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom