DVB Freeview aerials

Rob at Loanhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can the flat, amplified types of TV aerials be installed in lofts, or do require to be adjacent to the TV?

Thanks,

Rob

Agreed!

Location is important too... signal levels from the transmitter you watch may require an outside aerial. As may the roof construction if the materials reduce the available signal significantly. (The UHF TV transmitter network is designed around the use of directional aerials 10m above the ground, outside.)

EDIT:
If the Loanhead Miners Club is nearby then Coverage Checker - Detailed View is the predicted transmitter(s) serving that location.

The Craigkelly (aka Burntisland) transmitter across the water in Fife would be the obvious best choice and Wolfbane predicts 56dBuV field... Which a loft aerial may well be adequate for good reception. (Depending on other factors wrt the building direction, type other local obstructions etc.,.)

Last edited:
This is in a house I am moving into. There is an unconnected coax cable running from the loft to where the TV is. I tried connecting a yagi type aerial about 3 feet long with 7 directors, a dipole and reflector but was getting nothing on the TV. I thought an amplified aerial with a high gain might be the answer. The house is on the east coast approximately 12 miles south east from the Durris transmitter. The previous occupant only used SKY, so perhaps the area is not suitable for Freeview.

Thanks,

Rob

Are you sure of the continuity of the coax from the TV to the loft? If you have a meter to check continuity, temporarily twist the outer and inner of the coax in the loft together and then check for a short circuit at the TV end.
If your yagi does not give you a picture at all, then it is extremely unlikely that what you are asking in post #1 will work.
Is the house in a deep valley, or is there a hill between you and Durris?

Change address on the prediction link I gave in post #3 to the one of the new house.
That will tell you what transmitter(s) are predicted and if those are good (green), variable (yellow) or poor (orange) or non-existent (blank).

Do the same for wolfbane.net to get an estimate signal level in dBuV (change the antenna height to - say - 8 metres rather than the default 10 for a loft).

Ideally post the postcode or one of a shop, pub, church very near by (100m or less ideally) and we can check predictions etc.,. We don't want to identify your precise home in a public forum though!

EDIT: TJT1's checks are valid. An awful lot of reception issues are down to duff connections. A TV pre-tuned on a known working aerial to the transmitter can also help. As can a compass to help with aerial aim.
You are describing a 10 element aerial - probably of contract design? A worthwhile read has already been provided in post#2 with recommended aerials (and pictures of the good and bad).

This is in a house I am moving into. There is an unconnected coax cable running from the loft to where the TV is. I tried connecting a yagi type aerial about 3 feet long with 7 directors, a dipole and reflector but was getting nothing on the TV. I thought an amplified aerial with a high gain might be the answer. The house is on the east coast approximately 12 miles south east from the Durris transmitter. The previous occupant only used SKY, so perhaps the area is not suitable for Freeview.

Thanks,

Rob

12mls from a main power transmitter it's very unlikely you can't get a signal unless you have a major obstruction like a block of flats or close up trees. If anything most would be looking at attenuating the signals. Is there anything obvious in the way in the direction of Durris. Google Earth zoomed in may help. If you get close enough you can see which way neighbours aerials point and confirm with street view.

12mls SE of Durris means you are on a boat :)

Paste this into Google Earth and place a pin labelled Durris Transmitter.

56°59'59"N 2°23'30"W

Last edited:
With a loft as well?:rotfl:

Two storey house boat :clap:

OP must be right on the coast. Sounds idyllic the views must be great.

Catterline Bay is circa 10 miles in the SE direction from Durris.
Creel Inn postcode there has a clear line of sight and 70dBuV estimated. A <bit of wet string> would work if it were, perhaps, not for the granite stone walls and roof tiles... Building materials can attenuate signals severely. (As will dodgy aerial connections).

Inverbervie northerly outskirts is circa 12 miles but more SSE in direction...
But the terrain between transmit and receive is giving diffracted signals (based on the Sports Centre postcode). Signal level, 64dBuV, is likely more than enough for a loft (depending on building materials and outlook, of course).

Note: Reception predictors give compass bearing from the receive location to the transmitter (rather than from transmitter to receiver): NW to Durris (315 degrees) = SE from Durris.
NNE to Durris (337.5 degrees) = SSE from). All based on True N as well.

I tried connecting a yagi type aerial about 3 feet long with 7 directors, a dipole and reflector but was getting nothing on the TV. I thought an amplified aerial with a high gain might be the answer.

You thought wrong. You cannot amplify what is not there. A flat bit of plastic (before its amplifier) is a far worse aerial than a 9 element yagi.

Rob, depending on where you are moving from, you may need to retune if you were not using the Durris transmitter previously.

I've checked the cable for continuity and it was OK, I think re-tuning is possibly the answer.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Rob

Well, if you were on a different transmitter before and have not re-tuned, that could explain everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom