1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV99 vs SC HT500 Panny

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ianc, May 19, 2004.

1. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of DV99 Pioneer to go with my new panasonic 42" Plasma. Richer Sounds have the DV99 for £279..

I went in asking for a component-out DVD Home Cinema , the guy reckons that DV99 has component out for my plasma - but I cant see that it has from Pioneer's website...

Any views on getting this system - I don wanna spend more than £300 - vs soemthing that has Component like the Panasonic SCHT500 which is £200 from RSounds.

So the real question is - should I opt for the 'better' DVD player in the pioneer and lose the component and downgrade to RGB Scart, or go for the "worse" (According to bloke in R.Sounds) Panasonic but get the Component output... I'm not a cinema nut, just looking for good picture quality and sound, it deosnt have to be the 100% purist picture quality (for example I aint about to go out and splash on an RGB/VGA converter just to watch sky..).

Some other considerations - the DVD Player needs to go in a 'closed' cabinet so the external IR link & display to sit outside the cabinet on the pioneer is a plus. And its got to be family friendly -the 5&6 yr olds watching tv use it more than i do...

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    audio/video wise I find the 99 a great bit of kit.But it has one problem which you can check out on this forum that is the speaker grills can start to come off. It does NOThave component out.Also what may be a problem in your set up is the dvd section has a ventilation requirement of 15cm either side and 28cm above, mines hasn't . As for family friendly as you can adjust nearly every parameter audio and video which is excellent it might be a temptation.Have you downloaded the manual from pioneers website its worth a look for £279 Itthink its worth athought. Hope this is of some help
    Jaymac

3. Noonzio

Noonzio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Panasonic SCHT500 and checked out the manual last night, and later confirmed through the on-screen menu - it apparently does not output as component?? According to the on screen display it only outputs composite video, s-video or RBG. Is this correct?