1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

DV89 picture quality

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ginaandlee, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This question has been bugging me for a while, maybe some of you have an answer :)

What determines good DVD playback? I have a DV89 and on some discs (like Sin City and Toy Story) the picture seems flawless - no grain or noise, great colours but then some DVDs ive seen recently - Saving Private Ryan and the first LOTR movie come to mind - seem to have "noise" on some scenes, like the background is shimmering slightly. Its only really there if i look for it, but you know how it is, once you start looking for flaws its easy to find them :)

Other than the above, i cant complain about the 89 at all. colours are really crisp and theres a ton of detail - again, the LOTR movie when you see close ups of Gandalfs face you can see all the detail. I do get the grain and noise on some HD programming too, HD seems to vary in quality by a huge margin (but thats for another thread :))

Im watching DVDs on a Toshiba 46HM84 DLP set, maybe that can add to DVD noise too? I think my final question would be is " is there a better player for picture quality that removes that noise or will it always be a limitation of the DVD format? My previous player was a Pioneer DV588 which i dont think showed the noise as much but didnt have the detail either.

Thanks for reading this rambling post :)

2. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dv89 has probably a sharper picture then your Pioneer , try to have a lower level of sharpness on your screen if possible.