1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV89 or DV78 - Which is Best?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by bl0498, Jan 9, 2005.

1. bl0498

bl0498

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a DV88 but am shortly buying a progressive scan TV so will need to change it. Given the DV88 upgrade cost is £350, I wondered whether a DV89 or DV78 (both for approximately £500) is a better route given I can't afford the £1000 DV79? Which of these two is the best all rounder?

thanks,

Brian

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The PS upgrade for the DV88 will give you excellent video performance, bringing it up to essentially DV27A video spec. with the outstanding Silicon Image SiI504 deinterlacer. The DV78 and DV89 use the Zoran Vaddis 5 for deinterlacing and will not be as good for progressive video. The DV79 and DV29 also use the Vaddis deinterlacer.

I have a DV88 Plus that been upgraded with the SiI504 PS board and even the DV79 using HDMI didn't beat it for video when I did an A/B audition at home of the two.

I recommend you do the PS upgrade on your DV88. It's the cheapest route and you won't be disppointed. And if you want to go with DVD-A later, there's also an upgrade for that.

Dean