Dv88+

Reaction score
Hope someone can help. I recently purchased the 88+ but have a few problems.

Sometimes when I put dvds in, they just start randomly playing a chapter. For example, when I put in finding nemo, it started playing a special features documentary.

Sometimes, I will press chapter forward, and it will go backwards, I will press status and it will go to the set-up etc.

Also I can't get my subwoofer to work when playing a CD. I am going from the arcam (the front l&r and the sub) into the denon a1sr's analogue pathway external in. The test tone does work, but unless I set the denon to +15 for the sub I can't hear it, and even then it is very low.

Hope someone can help!

Are u starting the DVD player frmo standby ?

I find sometimes that if you stopped a film, put the machine in standby and then ejected the film and started something else its trys to carry on from the last place on the previous disc.. hence its starts part way through the film.. or another feature... what firmware level is your player ? 4.18.0 is the lastest :)

For the other issue it should alll be down to the amp.. are u using the digital or analogue connections from the player to the amp ? (not that it really matters )

If you are using the direct function on the amp then it will bypass the sub..try the stereo option instead.. which should pickup your bass settings. From reading the above you are using the external in's any particular reason ? Whay not just connect it to the cd in path instead ?

Sorry cannot be much help in this as I have never owned a Denon Amp!

Cheers

Matt

I am using analogue out of the arcam. I am using the ext in of the denon amp because that way I don't have to go through another step of a/d d/a conversions as the denon features pure analogue pathways.

If I was to use a CD stereo input into the denon I could use pure direct but that would leave my subwoofer out.

I fear that for CDs, the arcam does not use the crossovers, but would like confirmation from arcam.

Ok.. but if you use the external in (I presume the L/R part of the 6 channel in ) then you are only feeding a signal to those speakers and none of the signal will get routed to the sub anyhow, i.e if you were using DVD-A (like with the DV89) then the sub channel would be setup from the DV89 and sent straight through the amp with no additional processing.

I would try pluggin the phonos into the cd in and then try it.. if you used the cd stereo input just set the amp to stereo rather than pure to get the sub working.
Normally on a 2 channel amp you would have the sub wired inline with the speakers anyway rather than from the LFE out.

Its the amps crossover which would control what gets sent to the sub not the arcam and I think they are not being used because you are using the EXT IN (which are really for other processors/DVD-A as they would provide all 6 channels ??)

HTH

Matt

Originally posted by Urotsukidoji
I am using analogue out of the arcam. I am using the ext in of the denon amp because that way I don't have to go through another step of a/d d/a conversions as the denon features pure analogue pathways.

If I was to use a CD stereo input into the denon I could use pure direct but that would leave my subwoofer out.

I fear that for CDs, the arcam does not use the crossovers, but would like confirmation from arcam.

There is no crossover on the 88+.
Thats why there is no Sub pre output.
It outputs a full range signal, so if you have it plugged into the external in of your denon, it will send all the signal to the Front speakers.
If you plug it into the CD input of the denon, then it will use the crossover in the amp and send it to the sub (evern in pure direct), unless you have turned the sub off for pure direct.

Nice one chris.. thats how my answer should have been written :) rather than the rambling mess above!

Matt

Originally posted by Matt Horne
Nice one chris.. thats how my answer should have been written :) rather than the rambling mess above!

Matt

:) :)
I know what you meant.......just thought i would repeat it, but in my more basic world....:zonked: :smoke:

Originally posted by Urotsukidoji
Sorry, I meant the 89 :blush:

I just need to know if the 89 uses the bass management on stereo CDs like my old denon does.

I think that if you switch the internal decoder on i.e, have it set to bitstream/6 channel, then you would use the players crossover.
But if you change it to bitstream/2CH then this would switch off the crossover and send a full range signal out the analouge inputs.

It does not explain in the manual, so maybe someone from Arcam will read this and give a yes or no.

Must admit that i have not messed around with it to much, to find out.
Just thinking about it, this would mess things up if you was running it through an A/V reciver and an intergrated, as i am sure i remember JD saying that both the Front Analouge outputs, put out the same signal.
So if i was to set it up for DVD-A through my Reciver then i would be missing everything under 80hz through my intergrated as the crossover will be active.

It's a very easy question for arcam, but it I don't think I am going to get an answer here so I will try and emailing them (and failing that, ring them).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom