DV88 - Yet another problem.....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alanrob, Sep 10, 2001.

1. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Well, looks like another fault on my Arcam DV88 player.<br />From time to time it now refuses to pause/stop or bring up the memory while playing a disc.

You can imagine that this is a bit of a pain when the phone rings etc.. Funny thing though is after finally getting the disc to stop (by powering off/on) when it starts up again it can stop/pause etc.. Very strange.

Have any other DV88 owners had the problem yet or am I the first?

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Morning...

Yep I had that.. when watching Snatch etc.. once into the movie I found I could not stop or pause.. I just got the hand signal. The only way to get round it was to go forward/back a chapter. This seemed to reset the software.

I have to admit I noticed this before the machine was upgraded to the latest firmware.. So I have not noticed it since.

Cheers

Matt

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    that's very odd, can't say that I have noticed that one, I do tend to pause fairly often too.

Only problem I experienced recently was the Criterion edition of the rock. It would not play from the menu, either by pressing OK or pressing play. All it did was reset to the start of the menu. Got round it by going to chapter select and selecting chapter 1.

4. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Alanrob<br />This is probably a red herring but accidently hitting the DVD /CD toggle button which is a bit exposed (top left button on remote) has this effect I think. ie the DVD keeps playing but the pause fuction etc stops working I think. <br />Seems to default back to DVD control if you power down and start again with DVD in the tray so that would fit in as well. <br />Just a 'remote' possibility.<br />Richard

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Hi Richard46,

Thanks for the info, but I'm using my Pronto as the remote so it can't be that as I didn't put that button into the remote (what's the point?)

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've had similar problems with 2 DV-88's. I bought one after a friend recommended them, he's very happy and had no trouble at all.

My first one (May2001) worked fine but would not accept the 1.74 upgrade so it was replaced with a new unit. The newer machine (August2001 - Shipped with 1.74) would sometimes not pause, stop or do anything except eject (and that's with the buttons on the machine as well as the remote). At other times everything but the navigation controls would work. These faults were intermittant, but something generally happened at some point most days.

It's worth mentioning that whilst the controls were not working the little "hand" icon appeared on the screen whilst the buttons were depressed, indicating that the selected command was not permitted.

In addition, the player would turn it'sself ON from standby or OFF whilst watching movies.

The store gave me a full refund against an FMJ27 and I'm now really happy, the DV-88 had great picture and sound, but the FMJ27 is so much better.

I'm new to these forums so I'm not sure what the policy is on recommend particular stores but the shop that sorted out my problems went above and beyond what I would have expected, particularly as the machine was originally purches from a different franchised branch.

A very happy (now) Arcam customer.