DV88+ vs DV88p+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cameronl, Jul 29, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I recently upgraded my DV88+ to a DV88p+. That is, the Sil503 board was put in my DV88+. I did this to increase the progressive abilty of my DVD player as well as to get rid of 'noise' on the picture that my Sim2 was picking up.

What I noticed when running the new progressive scan mode was that the action on screen was much quicker than before. Also, by the looks of it the noise is gone (but I'll need a few more days to confirm this).

When watching the gladiator scene where the 'barbarians' take on the 'romans' the action happened at a quicker pace making it more cinematic than before. I initally missed the slowness of the old board as it was eaiser to see what was happening in fast shots; though the more I watched the scene the more I appreciated the Sil503 board. Interstingly, there seemed to be no improvements on jaggies - which were very low to begin with anyway.

Details of the crowds and close ups of faces also seemed to be more detailed but unfortuanely when I went to turn on my old progressive scan mode I noticed that it was grayed out in the options menu. I rang Arcam and they confirmed this - I can no longer use the inferior progressive scan of the DV88+. This is a shame as it's impossible for me to tell if my observations were correct.

Has anyone out there tried a DV88+ beside a DV27+ before? And if so, what were your conclusions?

thanks

CaM

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi cameronl

Can you please tell me the price you paid to have you Sil503, as I may be looking at getting my DV88+ upgraded?

Perhaps JD could confirm whether I will be able to use both P/S, as I want one to connect to a projector and one to a plasma screen?

Thanks

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi their, the upgrade cost is £350. Only the Sil503 board is enabled once the upgrade is done - so you can't compare the 2 and so the 2 can't be run at the same time.

That said, you can still run one in progressive and one in svideo...

CaM

4. bedders

bedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "DV88+ to a DV88p+"

Can I please ask what you get with the 'p' as I was planning to purchase a DV88 Plus from Richer Sounds as I was told it does Progressive Scan for both NTSC and PAL DVD's ?

Many thanks

PS you wouldn't happen to know the cheapest place online to buy a DV88 Plus ?

5. bedders

bedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "DV88+ to a DV88p+"

Can I please ask what you get with the 'p' as I was planning to purchase a DV88 Plus from Richer Sounds as I was told it does Progressive Scan for both NTSC and PAL DVD's ?

Many thanks

PS you wouldn't happen to know the cheapest place online to buy a DV88 Plus ?

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The DV88+ does do NTSC/PAL prog scan but it uses the vaddis 5 chip for it. The P is just having the dedicated SIL prog scan board installed rather than use the onboard chip.

HTH

Matt