1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV88 upgrade to DVD-A.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ukpete, Jan 19, 2004.

1. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a quote to upgrade my DV88 to become DVD-A capable. The quote is for £650.

I was sold the DV88 on the grounds that it was future proof and would be upgradable to DVD-A when it became available. I suppose Arcam have lived up to there marketing hype, but at £650 its not really a viable option. The DV88 has never been a stable player, so I'm certainly not going to consider giving Arcam another £650 to get DVD-A, especailly when I can get a Denon-2900 for £700.

Anybody else feeling agreeved, [inappropriate statement removed by admin] had-over ext :)

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    you are basically getting a new machine..they will replace the entire board which upgrades to a vaddis 5 chip + other improved components.. adds progscan for ntsc/pal and gives top quality dvd-a with lots of configurations (bass management etc) which others seem to have forgotten about... and another years warranty on the parts (and probably a new faceplate!).

I paid £400 to go dv88 to dv88+.. you are not forced to buy it.
    Also brand new a dv89 would set u back £1300, secondhand now u would get about 3-400 for the dv88.. do the maths its not that bad in the long run for the quality kit it is.

As soon as u start heading into arcam/tag/meridian territory (to name 3) it gets pricey.

If u are not happy with the arcam.. sell it and then buy a alternative make.. maybe tosh or pioneer.. you should get a nice player for around 600 or so (or maybe get a denon,,or something else ?)

Matt

3. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I also had an Arcam DV88 dvd player and faced the same option as you ukpete.

My old Arcam DV88 froze sometimes on certain discs and there were the DTS dropouts as well. I think Arcam quoted me £650 to make it have DVD-Audio and £350 to make it 88+ spec! This was outrageous and much as I like Arcam products I part-exchanged the Arcam Dv88 for the Pioneer 757 AI and I got the Pioneer for £450.

I have never looked back. The Pioneer player has a lot more features - including tweaking the picture to your heart's desire and also has i-Link etc. I felt that the picture interlaced was better with the Pioneer. CD replay would not be as good as the Arcam but my Pioneer has played every single disc - including DVD Audio and SACD - with no problems.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages and I am happy with my Pioneer 757 Ai DVD player.

I suggest you try selling your Arcam Dv88 for a Pioneer or a Denon. Arcam DVD players will not be able to do SACD and have been designed from the outset to be this way (according to article in Hi-Fi Choice).

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Yep its no hidden fact that to support SACD a new machine would have to be built..in its current forum it will never do SACD.

Personally I think the "new formats" are sadly overrated and undersupported at the current time..

Matt

5. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The whole point of spending £900 in the first place was to get a good quality dvd/cd player that could be upgraded by fitting a daughter board if/when DVD-A took off. I really didn't expect to have to replace the entire internal gubins to perform the upgrade. I have no use for progressive scan, so to pay another £650 just for DVD-A is not viable.

Looks like I'll have to sell it and hopefully won't end up buying Another Really Crap Audio Machine.

poor show ARCAM

6. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too bad that the price went up so fast. When the new DV89 was introduced, the upgrade from DV88+ to DV89 costed as much as the price difference. Now it's twice the price :-(

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    No its not.. DV88 -> DV89 £650
    DV88+ -> DV89 £350

Dv88+ new £1000 DV89 £1300

so its basically still the price difference!

Matt

8. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it´s sad that this is not the case here in Holland. Here is our official pricelist for Arcam products.

DV88+ €1700 = £1175
    DV89 €2000 = £1380
    -------------------------------------------
    €300 = £205

DV88+ > DV89 €700 = £482

So thats 2.33 times as much as the price difference and 1.6 times as much as it costs you guys in the UK!
    Bah!

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    ouch...i take it all back

matt

10. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hurts, doesn't it? ;)
    Well, these prices are the reason for me not to do it. It's just too expensive. I could better sell my DV88+ and buy a new DV89. That will cost about the same! Pffff.... I hate buying hardware in Holland!!!