1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV88 upgrade or sell?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by teknosys, Jan 3, 2005.

1. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DV88 and AVR200 amp want to upgrade the player and maybe the amp as well. Is it worth upgrading (I think there are 2 available £350 for progressive scan and £650 for I’m not sure what!)the player?
    Instinctively I feel I would be better selling it and buying a newer model – any suggestions please.

2. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd first ask the question do you need progressive scan. Yes the picture is better but if you've only got a normal crt 28'' telly
    a) you probably won't be able to display progressive
    b) you won't notice much of a difference on a set that size

saying that you can pick up an fmj dv27 for around the 500 mark second hand and while you can't use progressive (which it is capable of) you can benefit from the audio side of things. the dv27 is far better than the dv88 IMO

3. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose I should have elaborated! I have a 36inch panny CRT. Was going to upgrade to either 42inch plasmas or maybe 45inch rear projection - but am waiting for the dust to settle regards HPCP compatiability - so tv on hold at the moment.

4. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no ideas anyone? this used to be a really lively and informative forum.

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First of all, there is no upgrade for the AVR200. If you want something better consider the AVR250 or AVR300.

If you plan to get a display that supports progressive scan, upgrading the DV88 with the PS board is well worth it. The upgrade gives you the Silicon Image SiI504 deinterlacer, which is one of the best in the business and brings the player on par with the DV27A in terms of video performance. I have a DV88 Plus with this upgrade and I get excellent video quality from it.

The other upgrade available for the DV88 is one that adds DVD-A support, if you are interested in high-resolution multi-channel analog audio and want to play DVD-A disks.

As for HDCP compatability, it's irrevelant for the DV88 -- upgraded or not -- since since that applies to digital (DVI, HDMI) video connections. An upgraded DV88 will still use component conections: you'll have the original one with interlaced video and one added by the upgrade with progressive video. Only the DV79 and FMJ DV29 players have digital video connections.

Dean