DV88 Question for Mr.Dawson

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Plump, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for bugging You, but I (and maybe someone else might too) need to know this.
    I am getting my TAG DVD32R tomorrow and will therefore unfortunately have to waive on both of my FMJ27 and DV88, in order to finance TAG (+ cheap Pioneer for second setup).
    1. when is DVD-A update scheduled (this year?) , the one who buys them from me should know this.
    2. my DV88 has LO drive, any prospects on firmware against those awfull copy protection systems.

thanks a lot for the answers, was pleasure having Arcams (I mean this for real).

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Plump,

The DVD-Audio upgrade for the DV88 is scheduled to be released later this year. I can't be specific on the month yet.

No news on modified firmware for the old LO drives to support copy protected DVDs - sorry. We don't write this particular code ourselves and unfortunately it isn't at the top of our drivemaker's "to do" list for obvious reasons. We do currently offer a drive update via the factory to the latest LT type drives, which support these so called "CDs" from Sony and Cactus Datashield and also many types of recordable DVDs, at a concessionary price of £100 inc VAT. If anyone who owns a DV88 with an LK or LO drive (current production comes with LT drives) wants to take up this offer please let me know. In general DV27s are already fitted with LT type drives, though you may need a drive firmware update to LT23 or LT37, depending on the exact model used.

HTH. Enjoy your time with the TAG Plump - it's undoubtedly a very fine player. We think a DV27/AV8/P7 will outperform the TAG combo in many areas, but that's another story, and yet to be proven in the field! In any case I would be curious to know what you think of the DVD32R long term, say when you've had it for 3 months or so. Feel free to send your opinions privately if you wish.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Mea culpa - I meant of course copy protected "CDs" in the first line of the second paragraph :)

John Dawson

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, I will be pleased to post it if I survive this day(DVD32R is in my car and my wife will be home when I arive). So I will revamp this thread in a few months !

The main reason I did this is stereo performance with AV32R - almost as good as Accuphase DP65V (I tested it and was really amazed how good it did - before it was about the same for me FMJ27 direct or FMJ27digital out to AV32R) . . . oh yes, upgrade path and support are also great there. (of course they have much less customers than you so it is easier to do it . . .)

wish you good luck with AV8 and P7 (ariving soon?)

Cheers

5. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to jump in on this thread, but it seems like I could get some good advice on a DV88.

I was considering buying one of these players from new but have just been propositioned with a rather interesting second hand offer.

The player in question is 15 months old. It appears to have been very well looked after. Is anything likely to 'go' on a unit this old in the near future? At what stage in a DV88's life do Arcam recommend a service? How much does a service cost?

The software has been upgraded to the most recent version, have there been any changes in the hardware manufacture of this model since its first release or will I be getting exactly the same thing as I would from a Sevenoaks tomorrow...?

Many thanks,

Wilbur. :)