dv88 problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marcel, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Marcel

Marcel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!
    I just got my dv88 yesterday, and I am experiencing many problems with screen freezes on various discs. There doesn't seem to be an answer to this in the ng's i've visited.
    Current firmware is 1.74
    Screen freezes on:
    Unbreakable - R1
    Dirty Harry - R2
    Heat - R2
    Fight Club - R1
    and others..

May dealer offers to have it replaced, which I will. However, since I live in the Netherlands, I'm affraid this will take a lot of time (as did when ordering the dv88).

Sound & screen quality are superb if it wasn't for the random screen freezes...If this doesn't get fixed I'm considering another player (one thats not from Arcam).

- just thought I'd share this with you

cheers,
    Marcel

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds like an idividual player problem. The DV88 I use at work only freezes up on DVD extra discs, like the TS2 3rd disc and the one with Fantasia 2000, and Dinsoaur extra.

3. Marcel

Marcel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are correct. I tried some more titles now, and they all show screen-freezes at some point. I just hope that when I have it replaced it works like it should (remembering a Sony-player which I had to return 3 times, before I got a good player). If it does however work good, I'm considering on buying the Arcam A85 amplifier as well.

cheers,
    Marcel

4. squad 701

squad 701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Marcel,
    My first Arcam DV-88 also suffered from very slight motion drop-outs, it also outputed the s-video signal in black and white (check-that), I had it replaced with a perfect specimen and have no regrets, don't hesitate to change yours.

5. Marcel

Marcel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having it replaced tomorrow (keeping my fingers crossed:).
    Btw..I got an email in response to my initial message from someone at Arcam, offering his help. Great service!!

cheers, Marcel

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Arcam DVD player sounds like a right duffer judging from all the poor press on this site.

Perhaps they should stick to making amplifiers instead?

7. Marcel

Marcel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps so. But I think with all electrical equipment you can have a case of bad luck. Perhaps you should take a look at newsgroups which discuss Sony, Pioneer, etc. equipment.

In the end (at least for me) it's the customer care a company offers you when you have a problem that counts. In the case of Arcam it's pretty good (I don't see any replies to newsgroups from the Sony's and Pioneers)

cheers,
    Marcel