DV88 outputs PAL60/PAL M with great difficulty

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kilian, Mar 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Kilian

Kilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Greetings!

I'm in Canada and have some R2 PAL DVDs from the UK. Because my Pioneer Plasma 433 doesn't display PAL properly (with the bottom picture cropped off) I found that switching the ARCAM DV88 to output PAL 60 or PAL M would produce the full picture and no distortion (except the picture is a bit jerky).

But the only way to persuade DV88 to do so would be to start with Auto, then stop it once (on resume) after it starts playing, then go to Set up to change the video to PAL 60 or PAL M. Then resume play. I usually have to press Play more than once to resume play (or stop and play again) and if I'm lucky it will play after some seconds' delay.

If it is set to PAL 60 or PAL M at the outset it won't play at all - the DVD keeps spinning, either I get a black screen or the ARCAM logo. The player locks up and refuses to stop or eject the disc (even when I use the buttons on the player's front). I usually have to power it off and on again to eject the disc.

That isn't normal behaviour! Does anyone else have the same trouble playing PAL60/PAL M?