Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DV88+ (or Plus?) problems

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by fraggle, May 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all,

I've had my DV88 (+/plus - can never remember how to tell which is which) and its sort of developed a problem.

When I initially put a DVD in, it is supposed to quite quickly recognise it, and show the main menu/start playing, whatever the disc is programmed to do when its first put in.

But recently (at least I think its recently, might have been there all along and is showing up more with my more recent DVD buys) when I put a DVD in it normally takes *ages* looking at the DVD before anything does anything.

Sometimes I have to eject and load it again, sometimes press top or menu or play, but it is getting a right royal pain in the buttocks!

Once its recognised the DVD and bought up a menu or started playing it, it has absolutely no problem, happy as a pig in mud.

Does anyone know if more recent firmware is known to fix this problem? I can't imagine its a dirt on lens problem as it works fine after the initial "pause".

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Have you ever cleaned the lens?

In my experience people usually don't use lens cleaners until there is a problem, by which time it is usually too late. I use a lens cleaner for 20 seconds about once a month. Prevention is always better than cure.

If it is too late then a repair will be necessary, if the laser mech need replacing then it will cost about £240.

3. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Never cleaned the lens. The player has played less than 100 discs and is kept in a cabinet so doesn't get dusty.

To be honest if the player was having difficulty playing discs, with layer changes, etc, I would happily investigate a dirty lens, but since it only has problems when the disc is put in I can't see dirt being the problem.

Maybe the disc spindle motor? Or laser servo a bit sticky?

I bought it second hand so don't know its previous history of course :)

I'll try a cleaner and see if I can get hold of the latest firmware update.

If that doesn't work I'll send it off to be fixed and probably chop it in for a DV27 or Denon or something.

I just seem to keep getting problems with my high end gear :( cheap stuff just works.

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Whats the deal with lense cleaners..are they ok to use? I keep hearing comments about the brushes possible damaging the lense ?.

It does sound like you mech is on the way out.. but why would it cost £240.. could you just not buy a new drive as they are OEM DVD-ROM drives ? I've not opened mine up but is it not a case of getting a new drive, pluggin it in and sticking the arcam faceplate on the front ?

Cheers

Matt

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Got a lens cleaner in the DVD rental shop yesterday which seemed to make no difference. (it was a cheapy £9 BIB one)

But I did notice a pattern about when it doesn't recognise discs... it seems to be only the first disc put in the player after it has been bought out of standby. I.e. the player is in standby, turn it on, put disc in and it thinks for ages doing nothing, eject disc, put it back in again and its perfectly happy. And perfectly happy for all further discs, until its put into standby again and turned on again, etc.

Definitely sounds like a little firmware bug to me.

Can anyone send/email me the latest firmware and instructions?

Player info :-
    4.12.0/LT76/02/FF