1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV88 or Philips 963SA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tulloch2003, Jun 10, 2005.

1. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all which is the best allrounder for films and CD please. Arcam DV88 for £250 (not +) or a Philips 963SA for £150 new. Will be used for RGB only and looking for good CD playback. :confused:

Regards Tulloch

2. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Anyone please.

Regards Tulloch

3. av wayney

av wayney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi tulloch :hiya:

i have not seen a phillips 963sa so i cant possibly comment but i can comment on the dv88 as i have owned one for nearly 5 years.

i use it for 90% cd playback and it sounds really really nice with my arcam avr200 amp and rega jura floorstanders,the cd quality is the eqevalant of other arcam entry level cd players (i forget which models) so it has not been skimped on.just yesterday i was playing jean-michel jarre's "hong kong" album (24 bit digital remastered edition) and i sat back and thought wow that sounds great,you see... it still makes me smile. :D

the dvd side of it is also very impressive with a detailed sharp picture.
    i must add that i have only had it hooked up to a 28" phillips crt which has now blown up and i am going to be purchasing a plasma.
    i will then be able to connect it via component and see for myself the full potential of the picture (progressive board not fitted, thinking of it but would like more feedback in my thread concerning this)

enough of me rambling back to the point,i like you wanted a one box solution to provide me with quality dvd and be an eually good cd player too.
    the dv88 got good reviews i had a demo and brought it,i have never regretted it.

i paid £900 for it so £250 seems to be a bargain.

my firmware is 1.3 (original i believe) and i have never had a problem with it and arcam support is supposed to be very good on the whole.

this is simply my experience of the dv88,i am by no means an expert just a happy owner of said player.if you can, try to audition both of them as what you find pleasing to the eyes and ears is the one you will buy.

good luck,hpoe this helps....wayne

4. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If the DV88 is the same as the DV88+, then go for the DV88.

I have had a DV88+ and the 963SA. I only have the 963SA because when converted to SDI, it gives the best pic ever! For RGB video and analogue CD, the Arcam is a LOT better.

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I upgraded from a 963SA to a DV88Plus. Much, much better player, especially in progressive mode.

The 963SA must be quite a few years old now?

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Arcam players are very very nice if a little noisy in operation.Well my dv78 is anyway.

7. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with others I have not seen a Phillips 963sa but I do own a DV88 and have done for about 3 years now. It plays CD's and DVD's both excellently.

I actually bought mine second hand and immeadiatly had a problem with it (i.e. noisy drive) I sent it to ARCAM, they fixed it for me, for no charge, upgraded it to the latest firmware and re-registered the player in my name. Since then I have been back to ask thier tech support for advise on a couple of issues (by email) and they always respond quickly and with detailed answers.

The DV88 is a winner in my eyes....plus it is upgradable to Progresive scan and DVD Audio if you want (not cheap though)

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am a fan of the 963, especially with what can be done to it. My player is SDI and it gives the best picture I have seen (I also own a Tag top loader). Audio quality is VERY fine indeed. It is also now available at £140 delivered from play. It still is VERY competitive, see the latest review in Hifi+ of a tweaked one...

9. jchm

jchm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just a heads up that the 963 is now an incredible £99 delivered at Play.com....

10. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a 963SA about two months ago for £220 and was pleased with that price. I think the CD replay a significant improvement on my Marantz CD6000OSE, and with the upsampling goes some way towards analogue quality, so now I've actually started to enjoy my CDs. DVD playback is excellent, not to mention the SACD capability. This player had progressive scan and good buit-in decoding and I think £99 is an amazing price for such a machine.