DV88+ not playing in DTS

robocop

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to give my sub a workout tonight, so I tried to play a RI version of U-571 in DTS.
To my surprise (horror), it refused to do so.
After it plays the DTS demo (the bit with the piano) it changes to Dolby Digital.
I tried this several times, but the same thing happened every time.
I then tried a selection of other DTS discs and they were ok, except for a R1 copy of The Mummy: Ultimate eddition, where exactly the same occurred.
The only common thing I noticed is that both these discs are by Universal. This may just be a coincidence, but whatever it is dam annoying.
I am now trying as many DTS discs as possible to see if I can get this fault to happened on any others.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has come across a similar problem.
I will call Arcam tomorrow (looks like later today by the look of the time now) and see what they say.
The most annoying thing however is that my previous player, a Pioneer 737 played them all ok.

Kevin

Have you tried just updating the software and firmware to the latest version to see if it rectifys matters

current version is 1.81 for software which I updated last saturday and seems to have have made some difference on audio, although this was with a dropout problem

you can obtain these by contacting arcam directly

Kevin,

I've had a similar problem with R1 version of the fast and the furious(also Universal). I select DTS from the audio menu and when the film starts it goes back to DD, if I then try to select an other audio track it doesn't allow it. I put it down to the disc as everything else is OK.

Keep us posted on what arcam say.

John.

Hello...

Have u a complete list of films which did not work.. could you not change the audio on the fly during the movie ?

I have not got a R1 Ultimate Mummy.. but I have a R4..

I do have a U571 Reg1 so I will try it for you tonight..

The 1.81 patch sounds like the DV88 rather than the plus.. I'll check what version I am on also tonight as my player only got upgraded to plus spec a couple of weeks ago..

Let me know if any other films have given u problems ?

(I have had no DTS problems so far though I have not watched any of the older films in a while!)

Cheers

Matt

Also I have a R4 Fast and the furious which works fine in DTS (and sounds bloody terrific!)

Matt

I tried loads of titles last night, but it was getting very late, so I didn’t try every disc.
I tried a selection of R1, R2 and R4 DTS discs, about 20 or so, but so far I could only get the problem on the above-mentioned discs.
I tried again this morning, just out of desperation I guess, in case it had cleared itself, but no joy.
I spoke to yet another extremely helpful person at Arcam Support (Mick C), but they had not yet come across this problem.
However, I was the first to report a bookmark problem, which subsequently has now been solved in the very latest software version.
It is this new version they are sending me, so I hope this will clear up both issues.
On a positive note, the level of service I have received is exemplary, and leaves me in little doubt that all will be resolved in the end.
I don't think I'd be saying that about many manufacturers?:)
I will keep you posted.
Regards
Kevin

Cool... let me know what the version is they send u..

I'll report mine tomorrow! (and test out the U571 disc!)

Matt

Hi...

Yep same problem with U571.. you are not going mad!

Heres my version :

Mech : LT74

Let me know how the patching goes!

Cheers

Matt

Matt
Just finished updating the software.
I'm now using 2.1.8.23.0
LT75

But, I still cannot get DTS on U-571:confused:
I will give Arcam Support a call tomorrow and see what they say.
My original bookmark problem is now sorted however:)
Has anyone else encountered the same problem yet?

Regards
Kevin

BTW when I started up U571 I got this 3 line bookmark thing come up ??? is that what is now fixed...

I will also ring Arcam tomorrow..

But it seems Universal DTS DVD's have always caused the probs.. though Universal DVD's in other regions do not have the problem..so it must be a US authoring thing.

Cheers

Matt

ricdiggle

Can you let me know the number on the spine of the DVD case.
The reason I ask,is in case U-571 has been reissued?
Mine is 20785.

Thanks
Kevin:)

It defo (U571) used to work on my DV88 before the upgrade..

I have also rang Arcam this morning.. just to let them know..

I reckon it probably non-standard authoring on Universal's Part.
(Bit the like the DTS flag issue and Yamaha Amps when DTS DVD's first got released).

Spoke to a guy called Graham at Arcam who took down the offending disc names.. I also mentioned how my Reg4 F and F works fine.. so hopefully that will lead them to the problem!

I really like the Arcam Cust Support.. all I want thm to do now is produce a mid-range processor / power - amp to make me completely happy !

I'll post back when I hear something..

Matt

Hi Matt

Just to let you know I’ve spoken to Mick at Arcam Customer Support this morning, and have posted U-571 and The Mummy: Ultimate Edition.
Hopefully they will be able to replicate the said problem and perhaps find a cure, if indeed one is possible.
I wholeheartedly agree your sentiments regarding their Customer Support. It is nigh on a pleasure to phone them if you know what I mean? It is a major plus point in their favour. (No pun intended).

BTW, I would sincerely be interested in a mid priced amp/processor. One that would be upgradeable to the latest sound formats. I bought my latest AV amp early last year, and it does not have Pro Logic2 or DTS ES Discrete just matrix versions :-(

How about it JD? I’m sure there is a market out there for such items:)

Regards
Kevin

Just got a call back from Arcam (Graham).. He was going to bring in The Mummy to test as well. :D

Hes going to let me know when they have found something..

It does sound like a authoring problem from Universal.. but I think they are interested in that it did not effect the DV88 only the Plus model.

He is also sending me the latest patch update to install on me player :blush:

Cheers

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom