1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV88 help

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by jag1967, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jag1967

jag1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I've recently got interested in this player, but need some basic advice. I've read other threads this forum about the 88, but hope it's ok to start another.

1. The basic DV88 doesn't have prog scan. If I'm going to use it through a crt tv, is PS necessary (even on those few new tv's which have it, would it be a big picture improvement on only a 28" w/s)? I doubt I would be upgrading to a big screen for at least a few years

2. Is it possible to upgrade it to play dvd-A music and how much would it cost? (sorry if this question has been already answered, I couldn't figure this one out given the various models+ up from the basic 88)

3. I've seen it selling S/H @£450 in v.g.c. - is this a good price? (My budget is is around this mark)

4. I'm primarily into playing music CDs, and dvd play woud be secondary but still important. Is the DV88 the one to go for?

sorry again for all these questions! Any feeback would be much appreciated

jag

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jag,
    I think someone like Matt Horne is the best person to answer this, but from memory I would say;
    1) I would say at 28" no but on a 32" yes
    2) Yes I think its around £350 - £400
    3) Thats not a bad price but if you intend to upgrade then you might want to think about a later model as you are edging towards the £900 mark
    4) Without a doubt if music is primary then the DV88 is very good, there is no DVD player (IMHO) of this price that will match the DV88 for CD replay ability

HTH
    John

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The DV88 is a fine machine but is a couple of years old and if you are wanting to go DVD-A or SACD then a Pioneer/Denon would be a better bet imho. Things have moved on cosiderably since it was released.

£450 is about the average price, if you just want an interlaced player that is better than average as a CD player, think CD62/72 type of performance, then it's a good choice.

The DVD-A upgrade is £650 this takes you to the DV89 spec.

The prog scan upgrade is £350 and well worth it into my Z1 but I reckon not worth the upgrade cost into a 28" CRT.

Info: http://www.envytech.co.uk/arcamdvd/

Have you considered a basic DVD and a good used CD player or for more options a DVD and DAC combo. I have used my DV88 with a Tag DAC20 with very decent results.

Gus

4. jag1967

jag1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the feedback

The upgrade isn't cheap! and may make me rethink a little.

I doubt I'll be getting anything larger that a 28" w/s for a few years (and maybe by then things would have moved on from PS?) so I could live without PS

But dvd-a (and sacd which the dv88 cant do) are more tempting. Getting a dac is something I've been wondering about, though I'm trying to keep the no. of boxes down, and am also new to the dac thing. (Any recommendations for s/h dac around the £250 mark?)

Otherwise, am I right in that the dv88plus doesn't still have dvd-a, but has prog scan? And the dv89 has it all??

cheers
    jag

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Tag DAC20 are £400 direct from Tag factory refurbs,they were £1250 new but imo overpriced at that. Come up in classifieds for £250-350.

Musical Fidelity also come up occasionaly around £400, should be a few coming up as a new Trivista DAC has been released and gained good feedback and reviews.

DAC doesn't have to be in sight, you can locate it out of the way.

Have a look in the HiFi section for CJCross's posts and over at HiFi Choice forum.

Yes DV88+ doesn't do DVD-A.

Gus

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    yep DV88+ is progscan.. DV89 is that and DVD-A.

I am still using a DV88+ on my 28" sony.. not bothered about DVD-A.. the choice is crap and I don't see it as that amazing a step up (I also have a Tosh 900e in the bedroom which I have tried my fed DVD-A;s in stereo on -- usually I play the few DVD-As on the Arcam using the 5.1 soundtrack..sounds fine!)

Price wise.. DV88 --> + £400 (if Arcam still do this)
    DV88 --> DV89 £650

New DV88+ £900-1000 (dealer dependant)
    New DV89 £1300 or there abouts..

It alldepends what you want!

Matt

7. jag1967

jag1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the input.

But one final question, has anyone had luck with playing dvd-rw or dvd-r formats on the DV88?

I've checked on the arcam website and other forums, but not been able to find a positive confirmation

thanks

8. szd

szd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

Yes, I have a DV88+ and play DVD-R's on it - all have been RITEK dye based....