1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dv88 build quality

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dothillbenny, Nov 21, 2004.

1. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently bought a dv88 secondhand.
    Considering this item would have originally cost upto £1000 I was very suprised at the poor build quality of the tray. My main complaint is that the drawer front doesn't sit square in the front of the machine i.e when closed there is a bigger gap above the drawer front than there is below it. On close inspection the front is stuck on to the drawer with an adhesive strip. At first i thought the item was damaged repaired but apparently this is how they are made!
    It doesn't seem to affect operation in any way and is really just a cosmetic issue. Has any one else noticed this?

I have also noticed that it is quite a noisy player as well which I find strange, since I never used to hear my old budget Sony dvd player at all!

Are these observations the norm. or do you think I've had a duff buy?

Just to add - this is my first post and although this sounds like I am very unimpressed with Arcam this is not the case. I own an AVR100 as well and overall I am very pleased with performance delivered by these two items!

Thanks for reading
    Dothillbenny

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The drives are oem and you are correct the front is then stuck on... its possible that the drive/front could be re-fitted to line up better.... My initial player was a bit like that..