DV88/AVR300 - Upgrades and Compatibility?

B

bl0498

Hi,

First attempt at a post here - real newbie.

I have a DV88 driving my current Philips 32inch wide screen. Sky+ too.

I was set on adding an AVR300 and 5.1 speakers (TBD - thoughts?) to this combination to get a nice home cinema setup. Initially I hadn't thought about replacing the TV in the next year or so - but have become interested in the Philips 32PF9986 32inch LCD screen. This has a DVI connection (HDCP compatible I think) which can be used to take component output from the AVR300. I appreciate the DV88 can't do the progressive scan output required - so either a board upgrade or replace with the DV79 should do this? So far so good until I read about Hi Def (Sky etc) requiring a HDMI/DVI connection ++(?) to ensure Hi Def compatibility. Now where does this leave the AVR300? Surely this will need to have a DVI/HDMI output to the TV sometime soon - as well as coping with whatever inputs (DVI/HDMI?) are needed for Sky etc.

All of this has made me think twice about buying the AVR300 etc and simply to wait. Even the 32PF9986 looks a potentially difficult bet - they already sell a HDMI version for USA consumption.

What is the sensible route through all of this - simply to wait? If not what can one sensibly buy now that won't be instantly in need of an upgrade in 18 months time?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Brian

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :smashin:

I'm not sure why it's essential that you connect the AVR300 to a display device using HDMI/DVI. You could always connect the source directly to your display device using HDMI or DVI and connect an optical/coax/analogue lead(s) to the AVR300 for the sound.

I can't comment on the DV88 or the upgrade path, but, as a delighted owner, I can say that the DV79 is a truly fantastic piece of kit.

Any way good luck and let us know what you do! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom