DV88+ Audio Drop outs with CD, DD & DTS

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Bish, Jun 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi all,

I connected my brand new DV88+ the other day and was upset to say the least when i switched it on and heard 'drop out after drop out after drop out'...they are occurring with CD, Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks.

The 88+ is connected to a Pioneer AX3 via a 1 metre Mark Grant digital coax, the player is also blessed with the latest firmware/software LT76 and 4.0.18 (i am not aware of any further updates since this one but i may be wrong - and even if there had been i thought the bug for the audio drop outs was fixed many many updates ago??)

I know there have been a number of previous threads relating to audio drop outs caused by bad wiring in the house and subwoofers/earthing and all that stuff but i have just built a new room and have had all the wiring done from scratch and checked and its completely disconnected from all the other wiring in the rest of the house.

I am going to email Arcam support but anyone have any ideas or experienced similar problems

Thanks
    Steve

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stev,
    Best to call Arcam rather than e-mail them in my experience.

Regards
    John

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a DV88+ and do not experience dropouts ever.

It replaced a Marantz DV7100 that did give me problems with frequent dropouts. Not at first, but after a few years of use.

Since I upgraded I've always wondered if the Marantz was going defective, or if I just needed to reseat the digital coax cable (which I also used on the DV88+ until I upgraded it). I'll never know I suppose since the Marantz is now used for the bedroom with only the analog stereo outputs.

So you might try a different cable to see if that's the problem.

Dean

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bish,
    this is well known thing (dts dropouts). ALL Arcam DV88 series are suffering more or less on this. It was never completely cured. It is strongly dependable of piece of drive inside and your setup.
    The worst results are with TAG and Lexicon processors.

You have to learn to live with this or start swapping units until you get the piece that works fine.

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    There are no particular drop out problems with the DV88 Plus.

Please try an analogue connection between the player and the receiver. If this also exhibits similar audio drop outs then the player is faulty - most likely a defective drive - and you should contact your dealer or distributor for support.

However if it now works correctly suspect the digital cable and replace it with a proper 75 ohm cable.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Mark grants cables are 75 ohm.. but I do agree that the player sounds faulty.. I have not had any dropouts on mine since the 1.4 update a few years back (when I had a DV88) and certainly not any with my +, though I had lots of issues when the drive started misbehaving .. but has been fine since it was replaced over a year ago !

Matt

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The issue may still be simply a faulty cable, or SPDIF output on the DV88 Plus, or SPDIF input on the receiver. (It might be the signal levels are on the margin for some reason). Whatever it is the check is to run an analogue signal for comparison - if that is dropout free then use another cable, another SPDIF input on the receiver and also try the optical signal path. If it is a dodgy link between DVD player and receiver those tests will start to pin down what's wrong.

The drive has different lasers for CD and DVD discs so I am not presently convinced it is the drive that's at fault - in instances where the drive misbehaves we usually see CD fail or DVD fail but not both.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Plump, is what you say regarding Arcam/Tag drop out problems correct? I only ask because i recently borrowed a DV78 to try with view to buying but running it through my AV32, had no end of problems with DD and DTS keep dropping every few seconds. When the unit was particularly bad, I found switching off/on the DV78 did reduce the problem but I couldn't cure it. I put it down to a faulty unit but if it is a "known" problem then I'll cancel my order...

Thanks in advance
    Rob.

9. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Thanks to all who have replied to the post, John - thanks for your interest too, its great to know you guys at Arcam are on hand for these kind of things.

I am currently in the process of carrying out some extensive tests which will involve playing a number of CD, DVD and experimenting with all the inputs, cables and suggestions..

Will report back soon,

Thanks

10. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    After a week of testing the drop outs remain, the player has been returned to the dealer who in turn has sent it back to Arcam...lets see how they get on??

11. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good luck with that Steve - let me know how you get on.....

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    A colleague of mine had lots of dropout problems between a DV88 and a Lex processor - in the end he just got fed up and returned the Arcam. I have heard of two others with similar issues but all related to the original DV88 not the DV88+ or DV89.

13. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is correct, however it is most common for DV88 series. It is worst with TAG and Lex processors.

My advice would be to try another DV78 or DV79 and if it persists forget it.

14. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers Plump, I tried the 79 but it was still a little dodgy on DVD playback. Overal though, the sound quality was extremely good from both players but I decided to go for a Denon 2900 in the end as I couldn't live with the constant dropouts. So far (touch wood!!) all has been well and I'm very happy with the player.

Thanks again Plump
    Rob.