DV79 v DV27

BigAl217

Established Member
Reaction score
How do these two machines compare against each other in terms of both DVD playback and Stereo Direct 2 channel preformance.

Interested in peoples views as I have the DV27 without the DVD-A option.
For cd playback I run it through a Chord DAC 64 and was wondering if I changed to the DV79 what if anything I would lose in terms of preformance.

Sound is via AV8, P7 and video to a Pioneer PDP-433HDE plasma.

Cheers
Alan

Been wondering the same thing as I have a DV27 and a PDP434 plasma...

How much better is the stereo playback though the Chord DAC then direct from the DV27?

I would like to imagine the dv27 is some way ahead...... especially since I have one ordered!

ad

HoD,
I wouldnt say it is vastly better, however it is better IMHO.
The sound has is a bit more lush / warm than straight from the DV27 with great timing and musicality. I would say its more of a subtle difference but a difference nevertheless.

Is it worth 2k for this improvement, if I was honest probably not but hey you cant take it with you, money that is.

Actually i would like John Dawson to position the Dv79 within the Arcam range of DVD players.

Is it a lower end series of the DV89 as the number sugests?

Would that mean that as it seems to imporve in many ways (video) taht the DV89 will have a replacement in near future? (is the DV79 actually better than the DV88+ and DV89?)

Will the FMJ range get also a replacement (for instance a DV29 ??)

If John Could Answer this, that would be great!

Thanks.

Mutley,
An interesting question, one magazine has even suggested that the DV79 cuts the legs away from under the DV89 and even the DV27A. It suggested IIRC that both these machines couldn't take on what the DV79 had iro componentry. Not sure whether thats a good or a bad thing, I think JD has already gone on record as saying that the full blown version of HDMI won't be around for around 18 months to 2 years yet and that the implementation of this on amps will longer (iirc)

Cheers
John

I would personally doubt in audio terms, I think that they were implying that the video/audio delivery system left the others behind. Not sure though about this, a good product isn't just about the delivery system its about the whole, imho :)

im relieved to hear that since that was my main reason for upgrading :)

ad

Buns, you going to get XL3ES to upgrade yours to SDI?

yup! He is doing both that and a V1 sky+ box :D

Ive come from the panasonic rp82 sdi which we all know is one of the best as far as sdi picture quality goes. Im not sure whether im expecting a picture upgrade in moving to the arcam, but I cant wait to hear it! I have never really experienced high end dvd (audiowise), so it is going to be great!

all the best

ad

Ad, give us a report once Elliot has done the mod and you've had a chance to work with it

Cheers
John

I sure will do..... Will have lots to report on since my system has totally changed! Coming is panny plasma, sky+ sdi, lumagen hdp sdi and the fantastic dv27 sdi. cant wait (but can wait for the credit card bill :eek:)

ad

Hi Fellas,
Dose X3LES (Elliott) have a website about his upgrades or do you have details on pricing Buns?

Cheers
Alan

He is with PJ hifi whose site is http://www.pjhifi.co.uk/

I cant post many details of the mods im afraid since it would be in breach of forum rules. The cost of would be somewhere abouts £350 unless you have a troublesome player (arcam dv88 i believe to be one such machine). If you drop him an email or a pm im sure he would fill you in.

all the best

ad

Buns
just got my fmj dv27 back from Elliott (SDI modded )today along with a Lumagen vision pro so will have a play over the weekend and then Gordon is coming over Monday to set up the barco and the Lumagen so i am getting quite excited, will report back with the results,Ad did you sell the HTPC and Holograph card ok?

regards

richard

I know that the FMJ DV27 sounds significantely better than the DV88 I had before, I would be surprised if the DV79 sounded as good, but if it does, it is a good sign for the future... :thumbsup:

I did indeed get the pc sold thanks :) It is helping fund all of this!

Look forward to hearing how you get on since its going to be i guess 3 weeks til I can get to play! Its a shame that I wont have the luxury of Gordon coming to tweak all of mine..... maybe you should advise him to change his contact numbers when i get the new lumagen! :D

The biggest quandry I have is whether to get the plasma now..... or wait until nearer the time everything else arrives! arghhhh!

Hi
I was speaking to the guy at Creative-audio the other day...

they are selling the DV89 at £599 and the 88+ at £499.

I was told that the 78 & 79 are the replacements for the 88 & 89-
apparently the 78/79 have HDMI.

Hope that helps.

rkb

John D still doesn't say a word over this matter..

I guess it would be nice of John could give us his thoughts on the audio circuitry and performance....

ad

The DV78 and 79 do indeed replace the 88 Plus and 89. They are lower cost as we have learned how to build these more cost effectively than before; however there are no hardware upgrade paths. In the case of the upcoming DV79 I know of no areas of performance in which it is behind the DV89.

I personally have not done any comparisons with the DV27, which continues in production, so cannot reliably comment at this time.

If all goes to plan the DV79 will be in most Arcam stores in the UK by the end of this month. Compared with the DV78 it additionally supports DVD-Audio (plus Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and DPL II), all with proper bass management using Zoran's 32 bit DSP. It also has RS232 control and of course HDMI video plus SPDIF class audio.

From the response we have had to the field trials we have done so far it is going to be a very big seller indeed :)

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

As discussed in Special Offers Forum- creative audio ae doing the DV89 at £599.

Unfortunately no mail order- personal callers to the shop only.
I'm planning a (long) trip- any others in Scotland/North England want to pool resources to save us all having to travel?

...unless of course someone at Arcam knows of a Scottish dealer with access to the same stock as Creative-Audio...

Shrewsbury is a long way to go for brand loyalty...!

Cheers

rkb

Pop into your nearest John Lewis, and ask them to price match.

Bingo!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom