1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dv79 To Fmj29 Transition - Which Amp Though??

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by JetJockey, Sep 28, 2004.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have decided to get the FMJ29 instead of the DV79. Is the AVR300 still a suitable partner though?

The cost of the FMJ Pre/Pro (A8 etc) is high and yet has no HDMI input facility to take advantage of the Mutichannel HDMI audio out from the FMJ29. Surely HDMI multichannel audio is the way forward? Or is it best to feed the Multichannel out from the FMJ29 to the Pre/Pro (or AVR300) through six analogue interconnects?

Would like some balanced opinions, though I suspect there will be some out there that will consider using an FMJ29 with an AVR300 a non starter.

Cheers, Gerald. :thumbsup:

P.S Does the FMJ29 use a different deinterlace chipset, maybe Sil 504? Is this better or worse than the Vaddis 5 used in the DV79?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    1: I would start with the AVR300, as I have, until they (Arcam) bring out an FMJ series processor with HDMI switching.

2: With the AVR300 you will need to use the analogue outputs from the DV29 for DVD-A playback. I can recommend Nordost Solar Wind as a suitable interconnect for mulit-channel audio. If you have a separate stereo amplifier as I do then a slightly higher quality interconnect from the DV29 to it would be recommended, I currently use a Nordost Red Dawn.

3: I agree with you that partnering the DV29 with the AVR300 might not be the obvious immediate choice but I believe it is worth holding on to your pennies for an FMJ HDMI switching processor, the AVR300 will more than hold its own during this transition period.

4: The DV29 uses the Vaddis 5 chipset to provide an analogue progressive scan signal which I believe is (slightly) technically inferior to the Silicon Image unit used in the DV27A. This however is counteracted by the fact that the DV29 uses higher quality video DACS than used on previous machines, which should help those still using analogue outputs. With the unit having a HDMI output it can take the progressive information straight off the disc without any digital to analogue conversion and therefore at an even higher rate of fidelity than the Silicon Image chip can produce. The differences between the HDMI performance of the DV79 and the DV29 are mainly down to the separate power supplies and better deisgned circuitlry layout.

I hope this information is of some help to you. Please bear in mind that I am not entirely sure of the accuracy of the informaton given above but it is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Chris.

3. uncle_git

uncle_git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest how far off would you speculate the HDMI switching FMJ unit is ?

I'm pondering buying a system in the next 6 - 12 months and am wondering should I just hold off on the amp/proc combo until the HDMI unit is released and just invest (I tell she who must be obeyed it's an investment at any rate :) ) in speakers for now.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I don't think a HDMI switching processor from Arcam will be available until at least May next year. To be honest I have no idea, this is pure speculation. I belive the problem is getting the chipsets that will allow you to upconvert other signals and then output them via HDMI as well as overlaying the processors OSD information too.

5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    imho the Vaddis 5 chipset is inferior to the Sil504/Sil503 chipset for progressive scan. I upgraded my DV88+ to a DV88+ with the Sil503 card and found the progressive scan was much faster and just as smooth.

I wonder why they didn't use the superior Sil504 like they did on the old FMJ? I also notice that the new Denon players don't use the Sil504 anymore either...

CaM

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    1. Probably to keep the price down. The new DV29 is £300 cheaper than the DV27A was.

2. Most people buying that level of DVD player would most likely want to make use of the HDMI output which having tested against the progressive component output on the DV27A is noticeably superior.

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's interesting. In the US, Audiophile Systems is listing it the same price as the DV27A ($2999).

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    UK price of DV27A was £1900. UK price of DV29 is £1600.

9. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all interesting stuff. Thanks very much for this information Chris, it would make sense to hold off and buy an AVR300 in the interim. I must confess however, that the thought of another bunch of analogue interconnects (spaghetti) interconnecting the two units, and another amp/pre/pro purchase in 12 months does not fill me with delight. It is extremely tempting to spend one's money on a Denon 3910 and (possibly) 3805 (or better) amp/receiver and send it all down one lead. You get a scaler thrown in as well, all for less money. I am considering auditioning the above with a view to revising my purchase decision. Anybody got any constructive views on the relative performance comparisons between these two items.

Thank you, Gerald. :)

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    The only way you can send everything down one lead with Denon at the moment is with a DVD-2910 or DVD-3910 partnered with their new flagship AV amp the AVC-A1XV which has HDMI switching, although this comes in at a whopping £4500 and for that sort of money I'd rather have a processor and power amp.

If you were thinking of using Denon link then you still need separate video leads.

As I stated earlier if you want everything (video and audio) down one lead then you need HDMI switching and for that I'd hold off for the next Arcam FMJ processor which is bound to be pretty special.

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris.

Yes, guess your right. Mind you I would expect to see a HDMI switching processor from Arcam early next year (this is pure speculation on my part, I have no inside knowledge) as the FMJ29 with multichannel audio output is of little use without it!! Unfortunately, despite not being limited by funds, I can't see the point in paying £1300 for an AVR300 now, only to have to trade it by May of next year. In addition I am also worried about the reliability of the AVR300. I have already had a faulty unit out of the box (fan problem) and there seem to be other problems being experienced by other individuals.

I am sorely tempted to buy just the FMJ29 and hook it straight to my Panny PWD5 plasma (stereo) till the new processor arrives. This seems a waste though, in case the HDMI switching processor does not appear from Arcam untill mid 2006. By then the FMJ29 will have a replacement (Hi Def most probably)!!

P.S. Can one get a HDMI (DVI) board for the PWD5 Panny, and will it work with the Arcam?

Cheers, Gerald.