DV79 review in HiFi News

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by SL Boy, Apr 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen this review which was due out today? Any comments - particularly regarding how the DV79 shapes up against the Pioneer 868?

I ask because I was about to buy the 868 to go with my Pioneer PDP504 HDE plasma but I am a novice in home cinema so really unsure which DVD player to buy now.

2. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No response so I presume nobody has read this HiFi News review.

I have no experience of Arcam products. Whats the reliability like?

3. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So far I know good. I've owned my gear for 6 months. No troubles or whatever. I haven't heard any other complaints for arcam users I know.

4. HoD

HoD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the two Pioneer DVD players I have owned lasted about 18mths before needing repair. In fact the 737 has now failed again and just makes a whirring sound instead of playing discs. I have only had my Arcam DV27 for about 6mths but so far so good.

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    A couple of quotes ... " Digital Video's new champion" ... "the truly outstanding player of the moment".

I think you could say they liked it.:smoke:

Well woth buying the mag though - the AV-Tech bit on it's own is worth the cover price - it's by far the best AV publication in the UK IMHO.

Cheers, Carl.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I think you mean the DV78 and not DV79? ;)

7. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    the dv79 looks like a pretty sweet player...ah progress ah ;)

CaM

8. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arcam is promising player, but somehow their latest products were not always better than previous
    i tried cd33 and cd23 was clearly better, even on this price level there should not be big (if any) difference.
    a friend of mine told me almost the same about dv78 and very first dv88 (this is however logical)

borrow both when available and compare, this is the best way

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    So why the hell isn't it on the Arcam.co.uk website??? :( Am I looking in the wrong place. Is the player for the US only?

We've all heard John Dawson saying things like: "we won't release info onto the web until we have the product just right" or "we are just finishing beta testing first", but this is getting ridiculous! :mad:

Come on Arcam - if a magazine has the product review, surely it should be available to view on your UK website? Do I have to buy the magazine instead? :rolleyes:

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I believe in this case it's an exclusive review and Arcam are keeping their word on exclusivity and thus you will have to buy a copy.

11. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    first, arcam is obviously not using www as they could. they should take a look what tag was able to do thru their web site, even though mr. zucker was far from being honest to his customers. (guess he got what he deserved in the end)
    arcams american dealers understand this much better, but they are sometimes left alone from arcam uk.

and this about magazine, this is old well known story between manufacturers and magazines. no one shoult take it to serious, this is simply the way the business go!

12. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Product reviews are the copyright of the magazine concerned - this is well understood. Please go and buy the magazine if you wish to read the review - in any case the whole magazine is an excellent read.

Specs on the DV79 are expected to go up on the website by Easter. We might even manage the AVR300 too :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

13. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When is the DV79 going to be available to audition. I need to buy a new DVD player now.

14. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Assuming no last minute hitches (and that your local dealer has bothered to order the DV79) - about 3 weeks in the UK.

John Dawson (Arcam)

15. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Fairly detailed information on these two new products is now on the Arcam website at http://www.arcam.co.uk/news/index.cfm#35 as a mixture of downloads and web pages.

I hope all this answers most of your questions everyone!

John Dawson (Arcam)

16. nicky napkins

nicky napkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello i have just recieved an arcam dv79 player from grahams hi fi.. there is only one scart socket on the back (i should have checked first!)it was installed by someone who worked there, the second scart lead was just left out.. it was not mentioned until i realised i had to change the setting on the amp everytime i wanted to use a different source and found a loose scart plug behind my dvd player and called grahams, i thought the man doing the intallation would have mentioned this?? please help, how do get get round only having one scart??

17. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
  18. nicky napkins

nicky napkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank for your reply..i have one scart coming from my freeview box to the dvd ..the other one used to come out from my dvd player (pioneer 717)and into my amp via 3 wires, video out and audio out.the other leads (from the same scart) used to go in the tv video out and audio out sockets as well..

will the scart splitter box actually make one scart socket into 2 scart sockets without having to use a switch?

really grateful for some advice.. nicky.

19. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Scart to composite plus stereo audio (three wires, yello , red and white) is absolute pants and in no way the kind of connection you should be using with this kind of system. If it is exclusively just these two devices (Freeview and DVD) I would get a JS Technology 2 -> 1 scart switch. They're about 50 quid, automatically switch when one source is powered on, and barely degrade the signal whatsoever. I don't where we'd be without JS boxes in our installations!!! Remember for both DVD and Freeview to go into the setup menu and select RGB output, 16:9 TV etc etc.

http://www.progressive-av.co.uk/accessories/JS-Technology_master-scart-controller.htm

A bit poor cricket that the Grahams guy didn't tell you he'd just left it off like that, but there again if he had installed a shiny new DV79 running only composite video this would have been worse!!!!

20. nicky napkins

nicky napkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank liam... i will give that a try.wish the man from grahams had come up with something himself?!$%