DV79 problem - not responding to remote control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by midlander, May 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

I've purchased a second hand DV79 and it's worked fine for the last two weeks, the picture and sound are fantastic. The problem is last night it stopped responding to the remote control completely. I've changed the batteries in the supplied remote and also tried a Harmony 885 to control it but still nothing. This morning I removed the DV79 from my kit rack and took it to a spare room to rule out possible interference or other IR devices causing a conflict. I've also tried switching it off and on again (in case it runs Windows :) ). It's running the latest firmware version 5.26.
    I've now run out of ideas. Has anyone else got a solution before I have to take an expensive visit to the dealer? (or hit it with a hammer in a fit of rage)

Regards

Martyn

2. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The fault appears to be intermittent, although it doesn't work more often than it does. Anyone from Arcam with a solution? Is this a known fault?

3. drac

drac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe not a solution, but.... I find the remote on my DV79 isn't very responsive and has to be pointed straight at the receiver next to the display in order to work....

sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.....

4. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I sometimes find it easier to just get up off the sofa and do it the old fashioned way. It is a bit frustrating considering you can get really cheap and nasty kit from a supermarket and the remote works from anywhere in the room :rolleyes:

You problem might be for fundamental than that stated by Drac, I dont know...

5. webhammer

webhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Fact that it's intermittent sounds like either the DV79 got on the wrong remote in the setup menu, make sure it's set for CR415 (I think the other possibilities are CR314, CR80 and Other), or, the CR415 itself has problems. That's the best I can do from this distance.

6. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the responses

When it wouldn't work it wouldn't work at all. Not with the CR415 or the Harmony 885 and not even at a range of 3 inches directly in front of the IR receiver.

True and I'm not lazy, it's just that navigating menus is difficult using the front panel buttons.

I've already checked the setup menu and checked the CR415 was selected. I even selected the other remotes just in case that option worked better. I don't think it can be the CR415 remote itself because the Harmony 885 wouldn't work either.

I thought a solution would be to buy a remote IR receiver and plug it into the back of the DV79. Can't seem to find them anywhere though.

As an update, the DV79 has been responding to remote commands since last night. Hopefully it will continue to do so

7. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Follow up:

The DV79 hasn't responded to a remote command now for 2 months - either from the supplied CR415 remote or my Logitech Harmony. This is looking like a hardware fault with the player rather than the remotes. I can't put up with using the front panel buttons anymore, they're difficult to see in a darkened room.
    Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong? Trip to the service centre I suppose, with the cost that will entail. Might save myself the money and buy a midrange up-sampling Denon for the same money. Anybody want to but a second hand DV79?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

8. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I am intersted. The reason being I am looking for a DVD player which I can control via the RS232 connection at the back.

Not sure how best to take forward could be -

1) You take it to the Repair Centre who can confirm that the DVD will work 100% if controlled via an RS232 Cable and I pay a high price

2) I pay a low price and take a chance

3) We agree a sale or return price (medium price) If the DVD works with RS232 I pay some more money upto the high price or, if it does not, I return the unit and you refund what I have already paid.

Tried to be open and upfront as to why this might be good for me, although we would always need to factor in the very low residual value of the unit. If you are interested in selling, why not open up a for sale thread where we can disuss furhter. Who knows, someone else may be interested and offer more than me anyway

Where are based, anywhere near West Yorkshire

All the best
    Mark

9. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    In relation the to above post, which I appreciate it is early days. Does anyone have (or have a link to) the DV79 RS232 Protocal.

One more question, does anyone have any experience of controlling a DV79 via RS232

THanks
    Mark

10. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    I bought a Sonance IR receiver and connecting block to run my Arcam equipment through their remote in's.

Arcam recommended Xantech to me when I wrote to the importer, but since Xantech have no Swiss representative, this wasn't a feasible solution.

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    This should contain all the info you need.

Arcam DVD Player RS232 Control

12. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mark, do you know where I can buy Sonance on the internet? I'm interested in the CR-1 IR receiver. I could plug it into the remote in on the back of the player to bypass the front panel IR receiver. This could isolate the fault.

Also, does anybody think updating the firmware might help? Is there a factory reset I could do on the unit?

Regards

Martyn

13. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mark, thanks for the offer. I must be honest, I'd rather have a go at fixing it before I sell it. I use it for CD playback as well and a Denon DVD player wouldn't do this as well as the DV79.

If I do sell it I'm in Wolverhampton, West Midlands (not that near to Yorkshire).

Regards

Martyn

14. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    No problem at all, hopefully I will have one soon, however, if you advertise on here for sale and I ahve not sourced one I'll probably make you offer.

All the best and good luck
    Mark

15. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Just had a thought, what amp do you have.

A lot off amp have an IR Jack out.

If yours does, you can the point your Remote at the amp, the amp will then send this signal to it's IR jack output. With a very very cheap either stereo or mono lead you can connect you amp to your DVD.

Give this a go before you try annthing else as it could well be a fix for less than a fiver. B & Q / Maplins will sell the 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead you need

Please post back on how you get on

Mark

16. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Just a polite reminder here that any trading/purchasing/sale of any items must be carried out in the trading forums. Even discussion of location, price, about the unit etc.:lesson:

Have a good weekend all.:)

Dan.

17. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    [Since you asked me, I assume you're also in Switzerland. Xantech has a UK importer].

I bought the Sonance from my dealer. The Swiss importer of Sonance is Alto HiFi and your local dealer should have no trouble obtaining it for you from them. Presumably any of the local dealers with internet sales will sell it to you over the internet.

18. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all, sorry for the late follow up.

The unit still won't respond to any remote control. I've also connected it to the 3.5mm IR Out connector on my Rotel RSP-1068 and that doesn't work either.

That's the last time I buy Arcam, they're too unreliable (my A85 has had problems in the past as well). I'm going to buy an ex-display Denon 2930 for £400 tomorrow which will do until decent Blu-ray layers come out.

Thanks for the advice.

19. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I wouldn't be too quick to have a moan about Arcam reliability, in all likliehood the guy that sold it to you second hand probably new it was broke and may even know how it happened.... Take it to an Arcam dealer, Arcam will collect it and have it back within 2 weeks usually, fixed and thoroughly soak tested. If it's out of warranty, it's still worth a go. If it's just a simple dead IR pickup I'm sure Arcam won't bother charging you.

20. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well the DV79 went to Arcam over two weeks ago and I've still not got the unit back (no contact whatsoever). I was quoted a fixed repair fee of £150 and I'm now wondering whether it's worth it because the going rate for one second hand in these forums seems to be only £220 :(

I've also bought the Denon 2930 and it's 1080p upscaled DVD playback via HDMI is noticeably better than the DV79 (non upscaled obviously). I'll compare the two for CD playback when I finally get the DV79 back.