1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV79 or CD73

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Hoggers, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

At present I am running a Cambridge Audio 540D dvd player through a recently purchased avr300 and p90 into KEF iQ7's (the rears and centre are on order) but I am not really happy with the sound especially as the 540D has an annoying habit of setting the volume output from the DVD to max which in turn results in poor & distorted sound (at least playing CD's) - lowering the volume output from the DVD fixes the problem but it is set to max when you turn the player on next time round.

So, in light of this I am trying to decide if it is better to go for a dedicated CD player (CD73) or a DVD/CD player (DV79) or a combination of the CD73 and DV78 (which combined seem to be the same price as the DV79).

I was wondering of anyone could offer any thoughts or suggestions, pro's and cons to either option and any personal experiences would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers,

Alastair

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    How can you vary the volume output from your player, unless you are using the analogue outputs and it has a very unusual feature? With your current player I would use the digital output only as the DACs onboard the AVR300 are likely to be better than those on the 540D anyway.

In any case I think you need a better source. Ideally a dedicated cd player and separate DVD player are the way to go and so if you do not need the HDMI connection or the DVD-A playback of the DV79 I would go for the DV78 in conjunction with the CD73.

3. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have owned a 78 in the past and its fantastic VFM, both for dvd and cd replay.

Obviously for better cd sound then a seperate player is a must im afraid! You will notice the difference.

Go on... spend a bit more :smashin: :D

4. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the way to go.... all I seem to be doing at the moment is spending a little more money... it is all very addictve ;)

I am guessing that it is possible to convert the 78 in a multi region player as I have a few region 1 & 3 dvd's

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    It's just a simple remote hack. Your dealer shouod be able to do this for you prior to collecting it.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    You didn't answer my question about how you have your 540D connected up to the AVR300 and how it can vary its output level?

7. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah.. sorry.

The DVD is connection via Analogue out for CD and co-ax for DVD (set this way as it has been suggested/recommended that the CD/Direct from the 300 is a better combo for music).

The volume output from the DVD is adjusted via up/down controls on the remote but there is no way to set the max output via the menu setup. When ever the unit it turned off the output resorts to max when it is switched on again.

As mentioned this results in a very distorted sound and is only fixed by lowering the output from the DVD.

It is a shame as for abudget player it is good, but having to lower the output each time is pretty annoying.

I think I am going to upgrade to the 73/78 combination as this fits the budget (just) and gives me a nice dedicated cd player as well and an excellent DVD player and as HDMI and DVD-A are not to much of a consideration at present seems to the most sensible way to go.

:)

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    This sounds like a fault with your player. At its maximum volume output it should be outputting a standard line level signal. If it is distorting at this level it sounds like a fault or a poor design.

9. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am inclined to agree... and have just connected up the 73 and 78 in its place.... and am more than happy with the improvement in sound.

Looking forward to many happy hours of listening :D