1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dv79 Hdmi

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Alex-1701, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Alex-1701

Alex-1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am in the fortunate position of setting up a system pretty much from scratch. I am trying to choose between Denon (AVR 3805 + A11), Pioneer (AX5i + 868i), or Arcam (AVR300 + DV79).

Because I am planning of putting the together with a projector I am particularly interested in each of these sets because of their HDMI link. However, the Denon A11 spec sheet says that thier player will only work with an HDCP compiant display. This rather limits my choices of projector. I am particularly keen on the Panasonic 500 or Sanyo Z2 projectors at the moment, and ideally would like an AV system that doesn't have any problems in terms of HDMI compatability.

Will the DV79 hav

2. Alex-1701

Alex-1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops ... don't know what I did just then. I seem to have acidentally posted an unfinished message.

Will the DV79 have any HDCP related comaptability problems in the same way that Denon do? If so, could anyone recommend a suitable match?

Thanks.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    All HDMI players, including the Pioneers, will implement HDCP (the content protection algorithm) on copy protected DVDs - i.e. nearly all DVDs.

It is in the DVD player manufacturing licensing rules (specifically the CSS license) so there is no way round this. You must get a display that is HDCP compliant - all HDMI displays will be compliant and some but not all DVI displays. If in doubt check with the display manufacturer.

In my opinion it would be short sighted to buy an non HDCP compliant display as any future source devices (set top boxes etc) will also very likely implement HDCP on at least some content.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Unless you back up your original DVD's to DVD-R then i'd imagine CSS would be a mute point :)

5. hemp3

hemp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is the dv79 available now? What would you have an DV79 or standard component dv89(available for £550)

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The DV79 is now shipping and I would expect most UK dealers to have it within the next one to two weeks.

DV89s at anything like the kind of price you mention are clearly a bargain and if you don't want HDMI are exceptional value.

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. hemp3

hemp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know this is subjective John but would a HDMI enabled dvd79 look better than a dv89 on a Pioneer 504hde

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    AFAIK - Yes!

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. hemp3

hemp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think I will go for one of these apparently Creative audio in Shropshire are doing them for £850 but I dont fancy the 300 mile round trip from london.