1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV79 HDMI-DVI creates freezing/skipping issues?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ntang, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ntang

ntang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just purchased a DV79 and hooked it up to a Hitachi PD5000 DVI input via a HDMI/DVI adapter.

It seems to work..great picture most of the time but unfortunately, from time to time, DVD's or DVD-A/Video's would either skip or start creating a lot of sound distortion (with different DVD-A or DVD's...CD's seem ok). Furthermore, when that happens, the controls on the DV79 would sometimes lock up. Switching the machine off and on would sometimes rectify the issue but not always

I have tried all sorts of stuff like, "Force DVI" "Ouput Priority" etc...

Funny thing is, after much puzzlement and exchanging my DV79 for a new one without solving the issue, I simply decided to use Component cables instead of HDMI....all problems seem to have gone away!

I was trying the following config

DV79 (Rom version 5.25, multi-region)to AVR 300
    6 analog outputs to the AVR DVD-A inputs
    2 analog outputs to AVR CD inputs
    1 Coaxial output to AVR DVD Digital input
    1 HDMI output to Hitachi PD5000 DVI input via adapter
    All audio/video/HDMI cables by AudioQuest

If anyone can provide some insights please. I'd really like to use HDMI output.

Thanks

/Nick

2. Sparky66

Sparky66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ntang,
    what you are experiencing is what I believe to be the HDMI socket encrypting your picture for copy protection reasons. Signals thru HDMI must be passed via a HDCP (copy protection) compliant monitor or reciever. If your Hitachi PD5000 DVI input does not have HDCP compliance you will get a scrambled distorted picture. Not all early DVI equipment was specified with HDCP protocol so using a DVI to HDMI adaptor will not resolve this issue.
    Unfortunately when using your DV79 with the Hitachi your best bet is component video or upgrade to a HDCP compliant monitor.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I don't think Nick is experiencing HDCP incompatability here, otherwise the picture problems would happen more than just "time to time". What is happening though is that the 24 pin DVI socket on the Hitachi PD5000 plasma monitor range is dedicated for use only withe the optional AV3000E media box. It quite clearly states this in the specification page on hitachi's own website. This is not the first time I have come across this either, remember when buying a plasma screen or other such display, price isn't everything.

Hitachi 42PD5000 Specification List

I don't whether the screen has been missold by the dealer or it was just presumed by Nick that the DVI socket on the screen was a standard one, in either case Nick if you want to make use of the HDMI output on your player you will need a better television, the new Fujitsu and Pioneer range would be ideal for your needs.

4. ntang

ntang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies

I need to say that there is not much of a problem with the picture...it's mostly the sound that is the issue. The disc (DVD-A/DVD) will skip and create SOUND distortion. The picture will also freeze when that happens but by and large, I get a beautiful picture from the TV when that issue does not arise.

BTW, my PD5000 has a built-in Tuner. Therefore, no media box

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I am aware of the model you have. There is an optional media box for your model of plasma if you wish to expand on the number of inputs. The DVI socket on your PD5000 is specifically for connection of the optional media box and as such is not guaranteed to be compatible for use as a standard DVI socket. As I said it clearly states this on the manufacturer's own website. It is quite likely that the DVI socket on your screen is attempting to use some of the pins for communication purposes and is looking for a media box, these communication signals being sent from the screen are the most likely cause of the problems you are having with the DV79. I currently run an Arcam DV29 into a proper DVI socket on my Sharp projector via an adapter and have never experienced any of the problems you are having which again leads me to conclude that the issue is your screen and not the player.

6. ntang

ntang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes...perhaps the PD5000 is sending some weird feedback to the DV79

The PD5000 manual does not mention about a media box...just that you can configure the DVI for PC or STB...I have tried the PC setting but the screen is not centered. The STB setting creates a nice picture.

If anyone has the sound distortion/skipping problem with their TV, pls let me know. Perhaps there is a workaround?

/Nick

7. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I have a Pioneer 504HDE plasma display which links to a dedicated media box via two umbilicals, one DVI and one D-Sub connection. When I tried to connect my DV29 directly to the display (bypassing the media box) using an HDMI/DVI adaptor, it did not work.Moreover, I have heard that the media box for the later 505 model (which has identical connections) is incompatible with the 504 display. The corollary is, as Crustyloafer stated, the DVI connections on plasma displays are not standard!