1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV79 & Goldeneye

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ihan, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I became the owner of my first Arcam piece of equipment today; the DV79. It is plugged into my panasonic TH42PW6 plasma via component with the dvd player set to progressive scan.

I think the picture quality is very good, better than my Sony DVP-930NS it replaced.

However, I was watching the region 2 verision of Goldeneye (Special Edition), and I can see some sort of digital artifact, where edges do not appear smooth as they should be; almost like a line of picture is actually missing. This seems most evident in people's lips, because this is what you look at when they are talking.

A good example would be Xenia's mouth in chapter 4 from 17:20 to 18:00.

Clearly, this is either a feature of the disc, the dvd player or the plasma display. I don't see it when I play it on the pc (powerdvd). I tried gladiator (region 2), and everything seems fine.

As you can see, I am confused. I was wondering if some of you guys that own this disc, could check their setups (any dvd player) and see if the same thing occurs. An explanation of the defect (if anyone can see it) would also be nice.

The retailer has given me the option of changing it to a Denon 3910 / Pioneer 868 if these do not to exhibit the problem. Please help if you can because I am beginning to wonder if I've bought the right player?

Other than this, I think the picture is excellent, but I was a bit surpised to see no sharpness or other picture adjustments. Also the remote has to been very accurately pointed in order for the unit to respond.

Thanks, ihan.

2. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Don't have goldeneye, But have the same problem with the remote controls for both the AVR300 and the DV79. very poor acceptance angle and very poor response time. Cheesed off with this already and considering giving up on Arcam as a result. May not bother some people but it really annoys the hell out of me. May as well use a bamboo and lean across the room. Very, very annoying!

Gerald.

P.S. Shame really as the DV79 picture is as good as, if not better than anything else I have seen. One can only put up with so much however. :devil:

3. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the reply Gerald. Agreed, sometimes it just doesn't respond; you have to press skip 3 or 4 times before anything happens. Have you tried cycling through the subtitles; it's unbelieveable - it can take upto a dozen presses just to move on to the next one. It's a shame the user interface is so poor, I've just been watching the region 2 release of 'unforgiven', and I think the PQ quality is exceptional. Surely the user interface should be the easy part of the design?

I'm still keen to find out from someone about goldeneye. Could it be the ugly CUE bug?

Regards,
    ihan

4. cmclaughlan

cmclaughlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be the "Chroma" bug.

Watch chapter 11 the "Binary Sunset" in Star Wars IV. OMG it is horrid. Two huge big balls of ugliness. Then I started paying attention and noticed that every red dial, even Leia's lips were affected by it.

I don't know what to do. I tried using the component input rather than HDMI to soften it out some, but it is still very obvious. I've tuned my inputs with DVE.

Is there an upgrade path planned for the DV79 to take us to a chipset to fix this ? After spending $2000 for a DVD player that does sound wonderful I am really disppointed at the actual video aspect of it.

Colin

5. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the artifacts in SWIV (ch11) were as bad as the red objects in Goldeneye (in which all red objects seem to have the chroma misplaced along their outermost edges).

According to this report, http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=118 the chroma bug should not be noticeable, "This MPEG decoder does have the chroma bug in all forms, but it is pretty much completely eliminated with Zoran’s chroma filters".

Also, they don't rate the Zoran Vaddis 5 MPEG decoder, saying that it is an "average solution as a de-interlacer"!

At some stage this week, I'll be back to my dealer to see if the Denon 3910 misbehaves in the same manner. I've read the 868 via the component output is noisier than the DV79, so I don't think I'll bother looking at that one. I'll report further after looking at the 3910.

Regards,
    ihan

6. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I loaned for the evening a Denon 3910, and I have come to the conclusion that the Goldeneye defect is on the disc. I also tried a pioneer 868 and a Denon DVD-A11 (in the shop) and they exhibited the same problem.

In terms of DV79 v 3910, the DV79 is (IMHO) the superior player with a slightly more detailed picture with greater contrast. Adjusting the many Denon picture settings could not acheive an image which was on par with the DV79.

Also, the Denon 3910 has a fault on pure black pictures, where some grey blocks can be seen wandering through it. I guess this is what people have described as the macroblocking problem.

I may loan a pioneer 868 to try tomorrow evening or later in the week.

I feel much happier now about the DV79, if only they could sort out the angle of acceptance and responsiveness of the remote control; Arcam would have an exceptional product.

I must say that Munir of Practical Hi-fi in Manchester has been extremely helpful; and I highly recommend this dealer.

ihan

7. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A quick note to say that I loaned a Pioneer 868 for an evening & a day. I found that the Pioneer 868 had a better picture than the Denon 3910 (it didn't suffer from the dark grey blocks problem). The arcam DV79 had a slightly more detailed picture than the Pioneer. Increasing the sharpness on the pioneer could make the picture as detailed as the Arcam but with the penalty of slight ringing on edges.

So to summarise, I think via component out (progressive), the Arcam has the best picture quality of the three players I tried. Therefore, I have decided to stick with the DV79 I bought on Sunday.

I guess I'm preaching to the converted here (or even talking to myself), but I just thought I'd let you know.

regards,
    ihan

8. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ihan,

You gave a pure video analysis aproach to the DV79/3910/868 test.

What about audio. I'm about to go for a new DVD player and I'm considering DV79/3910. For me audio is more important and even more important is the performance with Cd's.

Can you give me your opinion?

9. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Neox,

IMO, the DV79 is a very good sounding CD player, similar to (slightly worse) the Marantz CD63MkII-KIS (£500 in 1997) I have. Sadly, I didn't listen to the Denon because of its picture quality issues.

The DV79 will play CD-R, CD-RW and even those nasty copy protected CDs (dido's white flag for instance).

From a CD perspective, I doubt if the Denon could compete.

Regards,
    ihan

10. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

11. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    BTW, I should add the DV79 doesn't play SACDs. For me this was not a drawback, since, I don't own any. I believe that no Arcam kit plays SACDs; due to their believe that it compromises quality!

12. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just thought I'd butt in and let you know I use my DV-79 for music as well Neo. I actually demo'd it against the Pioneer 868 on both accounts, video and music, and as the previous guy said I think it was slightly better on picture detail than the 868 but when it came to music comparison with the 868 then there really was no competition mate.

Vastly superior IMO. A much more detailed and rich sound altogether. It was almost like comparing a £100 CD player to a £500+ one. It really was that much better. I was astonished that two players at this price level could be SO different with regards to CD playback. I actually went into the demo slightly biased as well as I had just got rid of a Pioneer 747-A that I had been really pelased with. The Arcam blew me away with it's musicality in all honesty. It's picture is also, IMO, absolutely wonderful. (Watching Lion King, with my little girl on Sunday on my Pioneer PDP-434HDE was a video experience I'll remember for a long time to come...)

Have to back up the lads that were saying about the remote though. It's pants. Not only does it not give out a very good signal but there is no backlight and the buttons are too small for my sausage fingers ! haha..
    Still, I'll be getting a Harmony 655 pretty soon so I'll stick the thing in the cupboard where it belongs ! :thumbsdow

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit with your music concerns mate. I can't recommend this player highly enough regarding HDMi playback and musicality.

13. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear 26th,

Thank you for your thoughts. Definitely audio represents much more than video, nevertheless I do not want to compromise too much on the video side.

It seems that I will get a supperb DVD and Cd player with an equaly strong image performance. Just what I need.

14. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Glad you found my comments helpful mate. Rest assured you won't be compromising on picture quality at all with the DV-79. Quite the contrary actually. And you'l love it musically, I'm sure.

Happy shopping. :thumbsup:

15. mananijees

mananijees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With lots of interest I read the comparison of Pioneer DV868, Denon AVR3805 and ARCAM DV79. I'm curious if you considered also the Rotel RSX 1056?
    Also, can someone advice about what types of cables are needed to get the best performance? Dutch hifi-shops adviced the brands QEC and van den Hul, however I don't think the last brand is known in UK.
    Hope to get your response quickly
    regs,
    Marcello :lease:

16. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marcello,

Aren't you mixing everything up? Denon 3805, an A/V amplifier with Denon 3910 a DVD player?
    The Rotel Rsx 1056 is an A/V amp and I guess you mean QED instead of QEC.
    Van Den Hul interconnects are very well known. Even in the UK, I guess :rolleyes:
    Both brands make very fine interconnects.

17. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222

I use van den hul speaker cable and find it to be very good but don't know much about their video cables. For video I use Scorpion cables which seem to be good value and well made. You may need to order them direct from UK though!