dv79 firmware 5.26

killer10971

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i run my dv79 into a phillips 9986 37inch lcd since my dv79 returned from arcam with software ver 5.26 on it i was getting a blue screen occasionally with dvd playback (approx three times per film)

i put this down to the dv79 outputting 576p video and the phillips upscaling it was having probs

i have since returned my dv79 to firmware 5.25 and have had no problems since

just watched lady in the water with no problems, could this be a firmware problem with ver 5.26

cheers all

i run my dv79 into a phillips 9986 37inch lcd since my dv79 returned from arcam with software ver 5.26 on it i was getting a blue screen occasionally with dvd playback (approx three times per film)

i put this down to the dv79 outputting 576p video and the phillips upscaling it was having probs

i have since returned my dv79 to firmware 5.25 and have had no problems since

just watched lady in the water with no problems, could this be a firmware problem with ver 5.26

cheers all

I too have had various issues with version 5.26 of the firmware and haver reverted to version 5.25.

I have alterted Arcam Technical Support to this issue and they have denied there being any problem. This only serves to highlight that there are problems to be addressed.

And v5.25 had occassional brief pauses (with a DV29) for no reason. I have found that v5.17 is optimal. I have given up on a firmware release for the '29 that works flawlessly now the '139 is out.

It's funny (in a non-comical way) how the Japanese can bring players out that have crap performance, but work flawlessly, whereas us Brits can bring out players that have outstanding performance, but are riddled with bugs!

Regards,
Ian donning flame proof suit.

Interesting but my DV78 is still at 5.17 and works flawlessly. Local dealer advises not to worry about an update to 5.25/26.

On the other hand, they advise to update my AVR300 to 3.39 from 3.29. As its a pain for me to dismantle my setup and as I have no issues, still haven't done so. Wondering when 3.40 (or 5.27 for that matter) might be coming out to make it worthwhile. The pace of updates certainly seems to have slowed recently for these items. :)

This is very disappointing. I specifically asked Arcam about this a couple of weeks ago and they denied a problem. My DV79 with version 5.8 has gone back for another reason as well as an update, I will have to make sure the software is only updated to 5.25!

If Arcam is reading this.... similar to what was said above, my cheap Sony gear was nowhere near as good, but never caused me the slightest hassle with repairs, software changes etc :mad: ...

Just to clarify, the issue that I have come across with version 5.26 of the DVD software is that it occasionally drops the picture over HDMI. As I understand it from the release notes, the main change in version 5.26 was supposedly an improvement to the HDMI interface. It seems to me it has done quite the opposite.

If anyone at Arcam out there is reading this, I have tried to tell you about this on many occasions but the only response is that you have never seen this happen. I can only assume therefore that this issue has being ignored so far.

I updated to v5.25, and steared clear of 5.26. For me 5.25 has no problems.

right had a weekend film fest and since reverting back to v5.5 had not one blue screen ,also i am using an ixos dvi to hdmi lead as the phillips is dvi only so in the dv79 menu should the "force dvi" be set to on or off

when watching sky the set has trouble with movement past verictal or horizontal lines (people walking past a fence/window blind) i have been told it could be a sky bandwith/compression problem, i never had this with any dvd i watched until i used ver 5.26 , an example mission impossible 3 in vatican city , in one scene a huge stair case loads of hz/vrt lines a right mess , v5.25 same scene no problems

many thanks

the phillips is dvi only so in the dv79 menu should the "force dvi" be set to on or off

You only need to use the 'Force DVI' function if you are having a problem getting a picture on your screen. If you are not then just leave it off.

This is very disappointing. I specifically asked Arcam about this a couple of weeks ago and they denied a problem. My DV79 with version 5.8 has gone back for another reason as well as an update, I will have to make sure the software is only updated to 5.25!

If Arcam is reading this.... similar to what was said above, my cheap Sony gear was nowhere near as good, but never caused me the slightest hassle with repairs, software changes etc :mad: ...

Everyone seems to have the same issues with Arcam kit, it performs fantasticly, and then decides to dissapoint you by generating a fault. Most of them seem to be software/drive issues.

I work in the games industry (artist), its funny we are always finding bugs in code and they are always denied by programmers until enough people make a fuss. Sounds like that could be the case with the firmware, programmers dont you just love em :smashin:

I too had problems with version 5.26 on my dv29 (about 3 dropouts of video per film) so on the advice of crusty stepped down to version 5.25 but still a get a dropout maybe once every 2 films.
i'm phomong arcam tomorow regarding this as its not good enought for a ÂŁ1600 purchase.
does anyone know where we will stand with our 5 year guarentee and arcams denial of this problem.

I have picture dropouts too - about two or three per film - with my DV79 over HDMI. Very annoying in a product this expensive.

I also have an issue with the HDCP handshake with my Sharp LCD tv, using an HDMI to DVI adapter via a Lumagen HDP processor. I have to restart either the tv or the dvd player to get a picture, otherwise I get a message saying 'HDCP output disabled' or something. This happens with almost every film I watch. Does anyone have a similar issue? Or is it just a compatibility issue with the tv and/or lumagen?

I have to restart either the tv or the dvd player to get a picture, otherwise I get a message saying 'HDCP output disabled' or something. This happens with almost every film I watch. Does anyone have a similar issue? Or is it just a compatibility issue with the tv and/or lumagen?

One of the real annoyances of HDMI is the compatibility between bits of kit, due to the whole handshake thing. I don't know if you've put this to Gordon?

I too had problems with version 5.26 on my dv29 (about 3 dropouts of video per film) so on the advice of crusty stepped down to version 5.25 but still a get a dropout maybe once every 2 films.
i'm phomong arcam tomorow regarding this as its not good enought for a ÂŁ1600 purchase.
does anyone know where we will stand with our 5 year guarentee and arcams denial of this problem.

I wouldn't go to Arcam and say, I've updated to 5.26, and I'm getting dropouts, since it may just get into a discussion of them saying the firmwware's fine...etc, etc. I would just tell them your players continually causing you problems. It's under guarantee. So, can you fix it please.

Try not to tar everything with the same brush, a lot of HDMI dropouts are caused by the display where there is a switch or video processor inbetween HDMI sources and the display itself. Some displays blink on and off for a second or two before they can lock on to the new HDCP handshake following a dropout or source switch. So for example if you revert to 5.25 and still get dropout you need to consider looking into the whole video chain as it probably is nothing to do with the DVD.

Apart from DV137 nightmare, I've not had issue with any Arcam gear I own/owned. My dad has AVP700/P1000 and DV79 all of which has never failed even slightly. I have DV139, and an Alpha tuner both of which are faultless.

Of my customers experience (we install Arcam over most other brands) I get more % returns from other manufacturers than I do Arcam except as I say, the DV137 nightmare.

DV78 wouldn't show dropout because it doesn't have HDMI! The 5.26 firmware makes pretty much no difference to DV78 performance.

Killer your weird Sky issues is down to the video processing in the Philips being a bit naff. It doesn't do it on DVD as the DVD has already done the deinterlacing. If you connect up scart from the DVD on some material you will see the same symptoms.

Killer your weird Sky issues is down to the video processing in the Philips being a bit naff. It doesn't do it on DVD as the DVD has already done the deinterlacing. If you connect up scart from the DVD on some material you will see the same symptoms.

I have an good picture through sky mon - fri , then friday night through to sunday evening the picture quality is amazing ,i lose all the halo and processing effects that i get in the week , like the signal has been increased

anyway since reverting back to 5.25 not one blue screen

Folks, FWIW I reported the bug in 5.26 (screen momentarily blacking out, audio dropping out, and freeze-ups) directly to Arcam Technical Support in December 2005 (a year ago) when 5.26 was first released and a customer just HAD to have the latest version...

According to Arcam they could not reproduce the problem "in the lab" and we all know you can't fix what you can't reproduce...and they've been silent on the issue ever since but I've had customers who obtained 5.26 themselves (I refuse to give it to them) have the same issue and we've seen post after post here regarding it.

I've never had a customer report a problem with 5.25 in either a DV79 or DV29 so that's the one we always load prior to the unit being sold.

It would be nice for Arcam to come out with a final update for the DV29/79 series because although 5.25 is fine there is a perception amongst customers that since 5.26 is broken Arcam needs to "fix" it since they released it...

Merry Christmas all, and a Happy New Year! Go enjoy some of your favorite libation whatever that may be and enjoy some quality time with friends and family.

It sounds like going from 5.26 to 5.25 might be worth trying to fix my issues. Does anyone have the file they could email me?

Isn't it interesting that Arcam have been sitting on this issue for almost 1 year! Quite easy to deny there is a problem when there obviously is. Still, perhaps another year may be length of time required to fix this!

Isn't it interesting that Arcam have been sitting on this issue for almost 1 year! Quite easy to deny there is a problem when there obviously is. Still, perhaps another year may be length of time required to fix this!

I admire Arcam's service in general, however my impression is that this issue has been "brushed under the carpet" and until I get any sort of aknowledgement from them on this matter then my opinion will remain as such.

Another similar issue is the one that has cropped up recently about the failure of audio over HDMi when the new DV137 player is set to output 1080p video. I eagerly await results on this issue, albeit a very minor one.

Crusty,

I would value your opinion. For a DV78, leave it at R5.17 or upgrade to 5.25/26? Does not seem much of consequence in the release notes for this model anyway.

Crusty,

I would value your opinion. For a DV78, leave it at R5.17 or upgrade to 5.25/26? Does not seem much of consequence in the release notes for this model anyway.

Unless you are having any issues the leave it as it is.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Well, I 'upgraded' from 5.26 to 5.25 and the video dropouts over hdmi appear to have gone. I watched a movie last night and the only slight glitch was the layer change - the first time in ages that the video didn't dropout during the film.

It unfortunately hasn't fixed my hdcp handshake issues - I still need to turn the tv off and then on again to get a picture - but that may not be the dvd player. For me, 5.25 is a definite improvement over 5.26.

Thanks Crustyloafer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom