DV79/DV29 Vs. Oppo 971h

D

DAW

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. Just became the proud owner of an avr 300. I am now looking into the Arcam DVD players, and will also be looking at the CD players, but that can wait.

I was wondering if any Arcam owners have had the chance to compare the video quality of the DV79 or DV29 using the HDMI output to a DVI based Oppo 971h.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP, and am curious how the Arcams would compare purely from a video perspective.

Thanks in advance for any input,

David

Hey David, and welcome to the Arcam site :thumbsup: Though I have the DV29 I actually have it hooked up to my Sony xbr via component and the picture is superb, and the sound is super. In my master bedroom I have a Panny S-97 hooked up to a Sharp Aquos thru hdmi. Though I got caught up in the up-scaling frenzy, bought 2 Sammys HD 941 and thier newer one, I actually settled on using the S-97 and just sent a 480p signal via hdmi to my LCD and let the scalers in the Aquos do the work. The S-97 has a beautiful picture but the DV29 thru component is damn close and I've heard that the DV29 will send a crystal clear picture to the panel via hdmi, better than the upscaling players. But as mentioned I really have no need to hook up the DV29 to the Aquos because both TVs look great with dvd now. Maybe someday out of curiosity someday I will if I have to unhook all the components for some reconstruction project. I've read tons of info on the upscaling players just as the oppo was coming on the dvd scene, it's a great player and a good price. I probably could have got away with a good progressive scan until they settle the HD war, but I bought the DV29 for it's picture quality and sound quality for a non HD set.

WRG,

Thank you for the input.

I have been debating getting a 79 0r 29. The picture with the Oppo on my Sammie is outstanding. I may or may not be able to see an improvement with the Arcam in that regard. I also have to use this same system for my CD collection, so I may look into getting a CD 23 or 33 or 36. Let the Oppo handle the movies and let the dedicated Arcam CD players do their thing.

Oh well decisions decisions.......

Thanks again,

David

Probably a good decision David. The Oppo is a very good disc player indeed. Plus the price factor, the DV29 is a good penney more of an investment. Try to get a good deal on a CD36, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. When I bought my CD33 the CD36 were just coming out so I got a fairly good deal. It has nearly 50hrs playing time on it so far and it honestly sounds better every time I spin it. BTW I'm a South Floridian myself :hiya:

I have noticed some good pricing on the 33's, so I just have to decide if it is worth the extra cash for a 36.

What part of FL. are you in? Do you have a good Arcam dealer nearby?

Thanks again,

David

Hi David, I'm in Miami. I bought all my Arcam gear from Sound Components in Coral Gables, thats in the South Miami area. As far as the CD33/CD36 sound quality differences I would suggest finding a dealer close by that has both...if you can find one, and listen to them side-by-side with the same gear, music, etc, for a fair comparison. Do they still have some new CD33's out there? There is a thread here on this forum recently that one of the forum members made this comparison and he posted his results....maybe you can find it, I read it here a few days ago. When I bought mine if I remember they knocked off $600 just after the CD36 was released...I snapped it up :smashin: I use my DV29 mostly for multichannel music. I listen to 70% music, 30% HT. There are some really good DVD-a's out and I'm grabbing as many as I can, while I still can. Good luck in your search :)

PS...the thread I was refering to was..."CD36 on Order"

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom