1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dv79 duds

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Matt V, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Matt V

Matt V
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What a disappointment. Make that a series of disappointments. My third dv79 is another dud. As good as Arcam have been in sending out replacements, I feel compelled to post on this forum in the hope that I can get an answer as to why I've had such a poor experience, before I stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. As a newcomer to the brand, and a newcomer to that price range, my expectations were high. The avr300 and dv79 combo was irresistible as a one-stop solution for film and music, and my auditions confirmed all the positive things I'd read in the press. Unfortunately that didn't extend to my experience at home, at least with the dv79:
    The first one had a dodgy clock that kept jumping sporadically to different times and occasionally skipping tracks. The second, to my total disbelief, had exactly the same problem (both software version 5.8.0). The third, which I picked up yesterday, and which my dealer assured me had been triple checked by Arcam, has so far randomly frozen 6 times and twice emitted some ear-shattering feedback during a title sequence with two separate DVDs (Rounders R2 and Matrix R2, software version 5.13.0).

Now I can live with the poor remote and layer change slowness (although I agree with the general feelings on this forum), but 3 faulty units is just unacceptable, particularly at this price point, and to this degree of malfunction. What surprises me is that nobody else seems to have had similar problems, neither on this forum, nor at the shop I bought from.

I really don't want to give up on Arcam, as when the system's worked, it's worked brilliantly. I do however need a thorough explanation as to why this has happened, preferably from someone at Arcam, if I am to be convinced that it's worth replacing the unit for the fourth time in the space of two months, rather than returning it.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think you are unlikely to be so unfortunate if you accept a replacement.
    My experience of Arcam reliability has been most positive. :cool:

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Do a bit more searching and you'll find I had a duff AVR300, and needed to upgrade the firmware on my DV79

I had just moved from mainly Cyrus kit and 1st impressions of the Arcam stuff was less than impressive, however system has been fine now for past few months and both dealer and Arcam were as helpful as they could be in terms of replacements and loaners.

Although all fine at this precise moment, there is still a lack of confidence in Arcam for me, but that is diminishing gradually on a weekly basis as we speak. It was either live with it and hope it keeps working or find another manufacturer, unfortunately not many in this price/performance bracket.

Out of curiosity is your DVD on top of your AVR, and how hot does it all get ?

4. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Matt
    I think you have been unlucky - all my kit is Arcam and it I've never had any reliabilty issues over several years. However, if I'd had your experience I probably would have given up after the 2nd failure because I'm just not that patient. Fourth time lucky? I'd expect to be given a few if that went wrong!

5. Matt V

Matt V
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all for your replies. There does seem to be a general feeling of confidence in the Arcam brand, and I remain optimistic despite my experience. However I don't think I am able to write this off as bad luck just yet, so will wait for the response from Arcam support, who have kindly offered to investigate on my behalf.

To Radioactive man: anyone who puts their dvd player directly on top of their amp doesn't deserve to own equipment of this calibre in the first place. Were you serious with that question?!