1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV79 - Connecting via HDMI problems

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rimibar, Feb 9, 2005.

1. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, hope you can help with this.

Via HDMI I connected my DV79 to an Infocus 7205 which accepts HDMI (HDCP encrypted) signals. The picture is lousy and much better through component (although there is still degradation).

I bought the Arcam for its HDMI and build quality so suggestions would be great!

One of the main issues is that when in the DV79 setup menu I get a message telling me that HDMI connection is not functioning correctly (can't remember the exact wording). But I have followed the instructions to the letter and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone at Arcam have any suggestions? My AV dealer is also investigating and speaking with Arcam today, however I thought it may be useful to post here if anyone else has found a solution.

Thanks!

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine DV79 connected through HDMI to my pioneer 435 and it works great. Even a little bit better then through component.

I did not have the error you mentioned so look into that direction. You could also try to change the "RGB" output to "YUV"
    Is your display capable of displaying progressive scan? as HDMI will do that by default

cheers

3. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Addict,

Thanks for that. As you say progressive is automatically selected which HDMI/DVI is selected so I can't change that (the Infocus is compatible). Regarding the RGB/YUV option - it is not available when in HDMI/DVI mode - there is simply no listing for YUV. Perhaps something to do with that error message? :thumbsdow

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    This is because the projector has a DVI socket which only accepts RGB. Have you tried using the 'Force DVI' option on the first page of the setup menu.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Do you have the M1-DVI to HDMI adapter on your projector? Is it a white or creamy coloured one? If so then this is the problem, we have had two faulty units in a row where the problem is the the HDMI socket on the adapter is too loose and if you move the plug about in the adapter to will see what I mean.

6. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Crusty,

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried the Force DVI both on and off and it makes no difference.

Regarding the connection - the adaptor is white in colour and very firmly fitted - that was the first thing I checked.

I have also updated the firmware today. It turns out that mine was quite an old version. The firmware installed no problem at all, but it has not solved the problem.

Any further ideas??

Thanks again!

7. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    One further point about the adaptor: it definitely isn't this as it was tested with a TAG DVD player earlier in the day, and this worked wonderfully according to the dealer!

8. philbam

philbam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Hi Rimibar,
    I have an Arcam DV79 and connect this to my Optoma RD50 Tv via the HDMI out on the Arcam to the DVI in on the TV. Perfect result!! However,when I originally connected it , it did not always work, as the HDMI out of the Arcam was loose.Have since made sure that this lead is seated correctly and not moved in any way at all. Have since had two months perfect viewing!!

9. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimibar,
    I don't know why your picture isn't good but I can tell you why you can't set it to YUV.
    The InFocus Screenplay 7205 projector does not have an HDMI input. It is DVI only.
    You can use the DV79 HDMI output with a DVI display, but the DVD player will revert to DVI mode (hence the error message 'not in HDMI mode').
    The DVI specification allows only RGB video, so you don't get the option to change it to YUV.
    This is one of the differences between DVI and HDMI. HDMI allows an option of YUV colour space, provided it is supported by both source and display.

10. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Engineer! Will get someone over to examine the picture closer. BTW - are there any DLP PJ's that you know of that do support HDMI and YUV??

11. bue

bue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there are for sure. I use DV79 + SIM2 domino 20. They are connected with an HDMI cable and the DV79 is set to progressive mode and to use the YUV color space . I am sure there are lots of other projectors that can do that also.

12. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As bue says most displays that have HDMI will support YUV.
    This is what the HDMI specification says:
    RGB 4:4:4 must always be supported.
    If the device (whether it be a source or a display) supports YUV on any analogue input/output, then it must also support YUV on its HDMI input/output. The YUV data can be either 4:4:4 or 4:2:2.
    If the device doesn't support YUV on an analogue connection then YUV over HDMI is optional.
    Since the majority of HDMI devices feature an analogue component YUV interface, then they should also feature YUV on HDMI.

13. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do you mean a real HDMI socket on the pj itself? Most that I have seen are DVI with converters?

Bue - I'll check out the Domino

14. gkoumba

gkoumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DV79 is connected to an Infocus SP 5700 via HDMI/DVI using the Infocus DVI to MI 10m cable, and picture is perfect. Never had any problems.

15. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The 10m cable is a much better option than the little adapter we have had so many problems with.

16. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting ..... does the same cable work with the 7205? If so why do people want to buy this pesky adapter (which is out of stock on about 10 web-sites I've tried today). Is any functionality lost with this cable? I think Infocus themselves recommend using the adapter.

17. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The InFocus web-site says ....

'If you have a DVD player with a HDMI connection, the Infocus MI HDMI to M1 adapter is required'

With other set-ups it gives alternatives but not with this ... this implies to me that the use of the DVI - M1 cable is at best a lower quality alternative.

Tried some more sites ... all out of stock for adapter except one in NZ who won't sell outside of the country!

18. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Glim,

Try Audiofile in Cambridge - they are major Infocus advocates! Number: 01223 368305.

Good luck!

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Hello all

We've had a fair few In Focus owners replacing the 'supplied' M1 adapter with the Gefen DVI/M1 adapter and as far as I recall we've not had any of the Gefen adapters back so far.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1498

Best regards

Joe

PS I do wonder why HDMI is a 'push fit' it seems to be a bad design to me!

20. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I ended up getting a "molex" HDMI to M1-DA adaptor from my local Audio-T when a website I had tried could not sort me out. It was the last one they had in stock. You could try phoning up your local dealer, Audio-T, Sevenoaks, etc...., and see if they have one in another store and can get one to you.

21. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    It was the Molex ones we have consistently had problems with.