1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV79 and CD33 vs DV29: sound quality

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gregeas, Oct 19, 2004.

1. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In terms of Redbook audio quality, does the DV29 have significant shortcomings versus CD33? I'm wondering if my CD33/DV79 combo could be replaced by the DV29 without obviously impairing CD playback ability. I also watch DVDs on my DVI-equipped plasma display, but my emphasis is on two-channel music. I like to listen to DVD-As, but so far I've found less than 10 disks that I considered worth buying.

I understand that comparing high-quality sources like these can be difficult and subjective. Perhaps Arcam has thoughts here.

I only ask this because I have the urge to simplify my rack (my amp is the A32, and I have Definitive Power Monitor 900 speakers, soon to be upgraded).

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I have both the CD33 and DV29 and can say with certainty that the DV29 is not as good as the CD33 for CD playabck, but it's not far behind. The only reason I have both is that I am a dealer and get good staff rates on Arcam gear and secondly I am a greedy bastard. Honestly I think you'll be very happy with the CD performance of the DV29. The only thing that bugs me about DVD players for CD playback is their lack of ability to scan through a track properly but that is just down to the DVD drive itself.

3. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Crustyloafer how would you compare the dv29 cd replay to a 192 cd player.

4. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Crustyloafer,

What do you mean by "The only thing that bugs me about DVD players for CD playback is their lack of ability to scan through a track properly but that is just down to the DVD drive itself" ?

Just for curiosity / learning.

Thanks,

Best regards

5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    he might mean the slowness of the DVD players to actually get around to finding the cd layers of a cd. It checks every format under the sun before it checks cds for some reason. It takes seconds in any case.

CaM

6. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, Thanks. That also happens in my CD/DVD player.

Best regards,

7. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Crustyloafer:

Thanks for the response. I know the "universal player" concept is tricky to execute, but seems like Arcam is getting pretty close with the DV79. (I've owned several combination of players trying to get the audio/video mix right.)

Can you briefly describe any of the differences between the Redbook sound of the CD33 and DV29?

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The CD33 sounds 'snappier' and seems to have better timing and rythym. Also the bass sounds a bit tighter with less smudging to the edges of each note.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    What I meant by this is DVD players are not very good at scanning or fast forwarding through a particular track smoothly. This is not something I do very often but on occasions I do want to get to a particular part of a long track and the CD player scans through to that point much more smoothly whreas the DVD player fast forwards in little 'spurts'.

10. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Crustyloafer,

HOw does the CD33 compare with the CD32, I have read in places that the CD32 is better, I'm sure that they are just slightly different. Could you compare how as I am sure that you have had experience of both of these machines.

11. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HOw does the CD33 compare with the CD32, I have read in places that the CD32 is better, I'm sure that they are just slightly different. Could you compare how as I am sure that you have had experience of both of these machines.

Do you really mean the CD23 and CD33? If you do it's my opinion (and I'm far from alone on this) that the CD23 is the superior player. The two players have different DACs. The CD23 uses an implementation of the DCS RingDAC whilst the CD33 uses Wolfson DACs. As I said I think that the CD23 is a better player and will come to be regarded as something of a classic in years to come. The CD33 is a nice player but if my CD23 broke or got stolen I'd try to replace it either with another CD23 or with a very nice DAC + DVD transport.

Regards,

Jules.

12. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You say different, but in what way, I have geard that some arcams can sound timid or easy, how do these two players compare?

Thanks for replying

13. wcvb

wcvb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer,

Thanks for you views on the DV29 vs the CD33. How does the DV79 compare to the DV29 in terms of Redbook, DVD-A and DVD performance?

Also with which of the CD plyers would you compare the DV79 and the DV29.

Finally what's your take on the CD23T vs the CD33?

14. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just managed to buy cd23 and very impressed. Upgrade from 170 black box 3. Have not heard the cd33 though so may be talking out of my a......