1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV79 and 2.1 sound ?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by NaimBoy, Oct 19, 2004.

1. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably going to seem a little daft, so let me explain.....

I'm a hi-fi nut with a Naim system (ooh ooh he mentioned the 'N' word in here... :devil: ) and want to extend it for use in the world of AV. Much as I love the Naim gear I can't justify £2.5k for the DVD5, especially as it doesn't have HDMI !

After much debate, research and demoing I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the DVD79 is a more practical solution. However, there is one more problem... The Naim racks only take boxes that are 350mm deep, which is kind of limiting when it comes to AV receivers !

So.... the plan at the moment is to buy the DVD player and wait until I can afford the Naim AV2/V175 processor/amp combo. As this is £3.5k it will have to wait a while (to put it politely...) so I was wondering if the DV79 can be persuaded to work in 2.1 mode - i.e. Front L & R and a Sub. From what I can make out in the manual is should be possible - can anyone confirm this ?

Cheers,
    Mark

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Yes it can. There is an option in the player's menu callled 'Stereo + Sub'. This can be set to the following settings:

1. 'None' = Obviously turnes this feature off

2. 'Duplicate' = Sends frequencies below the set crossover point to the main speakers and the subwoofer

3. 'Crossover' = Sends frequencies below the set crossover point to the sub only.

The crossover point in the DVD player can be set to a wide range of different settings which should cover most needs.

3. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crustyloafer........ :thumbsup: