1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV78 with AVR250 - Pure Direct possible?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by flexiondotorg, May 5, 2005.

1. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

After demoing various components for a small room (two seater) home cinema I have finally found some products which really impressed me, the Arcam DV78 and Arcam AVR250. Until last week I had not considered the Arcam equipment due to the price, but after a demo on Saturday I knew I had found what I was looking for and the uplift in price feels like a bargain considering the improvement in sound quality. Equipment tested previously was the Denon AVR-3805/DVD-3910, Marantz DV-6500/SR7500 and loads of bits from Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer. I was amazed at how much more detailed the Arcam sound was in comparision and the CD audio playback left the Denon combo sounding brittle and harsh by comparision. Quite astonishing, but you all know that right? ;-) Today I have taken delivery of a DV78 and AVR250 :)

The Question

I am interested to know if it is possible to connect the DV78 to the AVR250 via the digital and phono connections so that I can use the digial connection for DVD Video and phono for CD playback, therefore making use of pure direct? This is something I didn't test at the dealer and I don't have any cables or speakers to experiment with at home yet :-( I may still opt for the digital only connections due to the speakers I will be using (small) and may need AVR processing to use the sub. But I would like to know what my options are all the same.

Anyway, I am very glad to be an Arcam owner :)

2. bl0498

bl0498

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the older DV88 and an AVR300 and that is precisely how I have it setup. Analogue interconnects from the DV88 to the CD input on the AVR300 and digital/Scart interconnects for the DVD side iinto the DVD input connections. I believe this is the standard way of connecting these devices. The CD side of the DV88 sounds better with analogue interconnects. You can of course hear how it sounds both ways by selecting either DVD or CD when playing a CD.

The Direct button on the AVR300 can also be used to influence where the decoding is done - either within the AVR300 or the DV88.

I would guess the DV78/AVR250 is setup the same. You won't regret buying the Arcam kit.

Hope this helps.

Brian

3. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for clearing that up, it is as I thought. I am just about to go on honeymoon for a few weeks so won't be have the chance to get the rest of my equipment beforehand or pay the dealer another visit prior to leaving. I just wanted to clarification on this point without hassling the dealer again as they have been very patient with me recently :)

I am hugely impressed with the Arcam kit and only wish I had tested it earlier, it would have saved me months of agonising over a list of unsuitable candiates.

4. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AVR300 and have no regrets. It is the most musical of the amps at that price range. Fantastic when in Direct mode but it has a great DAC should you want to use the arcam to decode.

With movies it is equally amazing. Since i use my system about 60% music 40% movies, this has been a really good buy. After hearing it there is really no need to get a separate audio player and amp, saves space, £££.

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Personally I would also try it both ways.. I would have thought the DACS would be pretty good in the AVR250 and so just try it and see which you prefer.. either way thats a nice looking setup!..

Cheers

Matt

6. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have not yet heard the DV78 and AVR250 connected using anologue and direct mode enabled, but using direct mode on other products has resulted in a significant improvement in audio CD sound quality. I was so impressed with CD playback connected via digital I didn't even think to get it connected via anologue for a comparison.

That said, using direct mode won't allow me to use the sub and as I am having to get small speakers (the wife to be has design requirements) the advantage of direct mode may not be so great. When I have made a final decision on speakers I will get the DV78 and AVR250 connected via both anologue and digital and give the CD playback a good test from the comfort of my new reclining cinema chairs :)