1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV78 versus DV88 plus

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by sapper, Nov 27, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    mmmmmmm

Just been reading the web site about these two DVD players

According to the info on arcams web site, the two players are meant to be of very simialr quality, but bulid techniques is the reason why the 78 is cheaper.

If that is the case, then why isnt the 88 discontinued? Or is the 88, still a better machine overall?

Has anyone come across any reveiws yet, either magazine or online.

Any comments most welcome.

Adrian

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    88+ is still upgradeable (DVD-A).. whereas the Dv78 is not.. and I expect the internal components (power supply etc ) is different.

I believe the sound quality is the main difference where the 88 is a better cd player than the 78..

Matt

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Matt is basically correct ; the two players have very similar video quality and the 88 Plus edges it in audio quality, especially when using the internal DACs.

The DV88 Plus also has two upgrade paths - firstly the addition of DVD-Audio (and multichannnel Dolby Digital and DTS decoding) and, secondly, the addition of the DV27 progressive scan board. This has even better video quality and allows the system to output progressive and interlaced video simultaneously, which is useful for multiple displays (e.g. a projector and TV) or where two rooms need to be supported.

All Arcam DVD players have proper audio delay management when used in progressive mode with displays like plasmas.

Finally there are no plans to stop production of the DV88 Plus, which continues to sell very well.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Alan S

Alan S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

I recently purchased an 88+ that I have connected to my projector via component & to my plasma via scart. Unfortunately you have to go into the menus to switch, which is a real pain, and obviously I cannot use prog. Scan on the plasma.

Are you saying I can get a second component output board for the 88+ ? If so how much does it cost and where can I source (direct from Arcam would be great as am capable of fitting myself). Would both outputs be enabled simultaneously, or again would they require menu switching ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

5. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I ordered a DV78 the same day I first heard about it, on this very forum in fact. I was looking for a decent player to fulfil dual DVD/CD duties, as my existing CD player is several years old now I wanted the new player to ably fill its shoes should it decide to suddenly peg it......pessimistic or what?

Having some experience of a DV88+, I felt I was'nt buying the '78 blind, as the video spec is supposedly similar between the two. Arcam's John Dawson has stated here that while their PQ is very close, the DV88+ audio DAC's are superior (as you might expect - something had to give in a player that's £300 cheaper!) So for CD playback, the '88+ is the better player then.

I've just picked up a Cyrus AV8 processor (superb!) on HCC's classifieds, and figured that if I fed it a digital signal from the DV78 through a good co-ax (Chord ProDac) I could maybe get CD sound of comparable or better quality to that I'm currently used to. Well, after a couple of weeks running in, I'm disappointed to say that this is'nt the case, the DV78 still sounds like a good £300 CD player, rather than the £500-600 ballpark the DV88+ is playing in.

So my advice is - buy this player if you want the best possible DVD playback quality for sensible money - its pictures easily equal anything under a grand IMO, just don't expect audiophile CD sound thrown in as well, and you won't be disappointed!

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Alan - you need the progressive scan board fitted as standard in the DV27/A models. It is also usable in the DV88/88Plus and 89 models; it costs £350 fitted IIRC and is normally done by your dealer or the factory. We do not recommend self fitting.

It outputs progressive scan component video, using the SiI503/4 chipset to do the deinterlacing. The main board on the player then runs interlaced video, certainly in component form and I believe also in RGBC form, though I'll need to double check that with the design team next week if you want to run component from the PS board and RGBC from the SCART socket. Note that you cannot output two PS signals simultaneously from the player as the digital video bus for the Silicon Image board has to run in interlaced mode and that prevents the main Zoran Vaddis 5 processor from outputting PS video.

Granny Smith - I think you'll get better CD audio from the DV78 by using its analogue outputs - if you are using the processor to do the D/A conversion it doesn't AFAIK have a crystal controlled phase locked loop clock recovery circuit and it won't be as good.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. Alan S

Alan S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Thanks for your help.

The idea is to have PS via component to both the plasma & projector, but simultaneously as they are both in the same room and only used one at a time. My kids & wife would tend to be the plasma during the daytime where as I use the pj in the evenings.

The 88+ has one set of components built in, does the second board add a second set ? I am trying to avoid using a switching box or amplifier switch (I have the Yam 1400) so as not to loose picture quality.

If this is possible, would they both be enabled simultaneously, or would I need to go into the menus to swap ? If this is the case I would stay with the plasma connected on the scart as I don't want the kids messing with the set-ups on the 88+.

Regards

Alan

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Alan -

The two component outputs will run simultaneously but one will be progressive and the other (the original DV88 Plus outputs) interlaced. This an an architectural limitation of the system. If you can accept that it is a good solution.

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    John

If you are just using the 78 to transport DD / DTS signals as a transport, how effective do the think the 78 in comparison to the bigger brothers?

10. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :eek:

If anyone else had posted this, I'd have thought they were making it up!

:D

11. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Im very interested in buying the DV78, the main thing I am after is the best possible picture using prog scan on PAL/NTSC material.

Have been reading that the audio on the dv78 isnt all that, but how is the sound when viewing dvds. ie DD5.1/DTS theough coax to an amp ?

thanks in advance

Toadie.

12. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    have the chance of a dv88 for £250, is it worth it, how much to make it pal ps