1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dv78 prob with The Two Towers

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by leedsfireman, Feb 8, 2005.

1. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Still happy with my first Arcam product but when I watched The Two Towers last night it stuggled to play the secound disc. When I loaded the disc the player made a 'whirring' noise & would not play. I ejected and tried again, it made the same noise but then played, any ideas?
    Andy

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Does it play every other disc fine? If it does it sounds like a slightly duff disc. It may be that the disc off centre and that would cause a whirring noise and make it harder for the leser mech to track the disc.

3. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've only tried a couple & this is the first with the problem.
    How do the 78's compare with the other DVD players is the Arcam range, is there much difference in picture quality?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Depends on what you are watching it through. If you are using a CRT television then you are unlikely to see any difference between them. If, like me, you are using a projector then the differences are quite apparent.

5. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, i'm using a Pio 434HD via component.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    In that case you should have really bought the DV79 or DV29, the video performance through the HDMI connection is superior to that from the component output from the DV78. The only Arcam machine that would give either of these a run for their money over component would be the now discontinued DV27A.

I don't mean to pry but it would appear you have purchased this product on price alone, are you at all willing to divulge which retailer sold you a DV78 at £499 without first investigating your current situation and the equipment you planned to use it with. As part of good customer service I pride myself on finding the best product for the customer's needs regardless of price or what I have lots of in stock and need to get rid of. It would appear that the retailer you purchased from did not pay as much attention to detail or you purchased without advice.

7. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was informed that the DV79 would give better results via HDMI but I didn't purchase it for a couple of reasons;
    Firstly the discount he offered me on the £999 selling price was just too much for me to pay
    & secoundly with the Pio only having 1 HDMI connector i'm saving it for Sky HD.
    The assisstant knew his stuff on the equipment but he offered me a 7 day trial with a full refund if not happy, now you can't complain about that.
    £500 was my absolute limit on a player which will do until HD DVD arrives then I'll upgrade to that.
    I was only asking as I can see better results compared with the so called 'recommended' cheaper players, so I was just wondering how better a higher spec Arcam would perform.
    Andy