1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV78 and line out level too high?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by MR2Harvey, Mar 3, 2004.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just bought a DV78 and am experiencing a strange fault. I am getting a distorted output from the analogue line out when playing CDs. I have a NAD T752 amp and am connecting using the CD input. The volume level is so loud compared to other sources. If I use the digital out from the DV78 and play CDs with the DACs in the T752 then the volume is normal and no distortion. This is strange because I actually tested the exact player in the shop before I bought with no problems. I have tried connecting the DV78 to another input on the amp, same problem. Tried different leads, same problem. I have subsitued the DV78 for my old CD player, Philips CD880 all is well. I have even borrowed a friends Myriad CD player, no problem with the amp. Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

I am going to get the player swapped over at the weekend, hope that sorts the problem otherwise I'll have to buy a different player cause I want it to play CDs as well as DVDs. Btw the DVD playback is excellent, no complaints there, also the movie sound is first rate. All this is a little irrelevant if it can't play CDs....that is of course why I chose this player!

2. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a similar problem with my DV27 which is about 3 years old now. If use the analogue outputs I get a high pitched click on certain parts of a tune, but it's not constant it only seems to be on high frequency's. If I use the digital out it's fine. I'm taking mine in to the dealer this week, I just hope it's not going to cost me a fortune to get it sorted.

3. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reply.....a little update.

I think the line level is a misnomer, I got confused between the digital input level and the analogue. All analouge input levels seem to be equally loud from various different CD / DVD players and different analogue inputs. The digital inputs all are much less loud. The problem I have is that there appears to be too much distortion in the sound which can overload the speakers even at modest levels. Using the DACs in the amp gives a MUCH cleaner sound, I deduce there must be something wrong with the DV78. It really is not producing quality music. I shall get it changed at the weekend and let you all know. The one I heard at the Bristol exhibition was exellent so I'm hoping for good things.

4. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right I thought it be good to keep you all informed about my little problem with the DV78 CD replay.

As I described before I am getting distortion when playing CD via the Analogue out. So I took my player back to Sevenoaks in Cheltenham where I bought it from and was confident I could be able to demonstrate this VERY obvious fault. Alas no problem with the player using their equipment. Very odd so they then suggest that I bring my AV amp (NAD T752) in as the problem must lie there. Well what do you know it does not sound bad like it did at home! same player same amp, what's going on?

They were very good to me and not treated me llike someone with a screw loose, they are going to talk to Arcam on Monday to discuss matters for me. They have also lent me the Cyrus CD6 for the weekend to see what it sounds like in my system.

Well I get home quickly setyp the amp and DV78 and listen. Where has this distortion gone I definately heard before? I think I must be going mad! I'm now determined to reclaim my sanity and start to put all things back in place before I removed my AMP.

I stat off with the digital lead to the amp at well as the Analogue. No difference, no distortion. I now then think they must have swapped my player over for a later firmware player (they got another in for me in case I wanted to swap it, which in the end I didn't). So I connect the DV78 to my plasma to see the version number which appears for a couple of seconds when you turn the player on. No same player!!! I then get an inspiration, Scart lead have analogue out too. What will it sound like now with the Scart lead in?

DISTORTION!!!!!!

I'm NOT going MAD after all!!!

There must be some kind of fault when it outputs both analogue outs. Has anyone else had such a problem! Does this make sense to any techies here?

Right now I have a dilema, the problem is that although the Arcam sounds so much better now I have been listening to the Cyrus CD6 that they kindly lent me, it does sound very nice. Better that the Arcam for sure. Do I now go for a separate CD player...today I shall decide. I'll report back later.

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for keeping us informed, the same happened to me, it's not a problem with my DV27 so I tried using my Panasonic HS2 and I still have a problem when playing CD's via the analogue input. It could be a problem with my AV8, maybe.

6. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    quote:Originally posted by John Dawson
    I wish you had said you were using a SCART lead too! My educated guess is that the TV at the other end of the SCART lead is shorting its audio input to ground, for some reason or other, or else is overloading. IIRC the SCART audio output and main audio outputs of the DV78 are in parallel and so it's the TV that's causing the problem. If all else fails you can snip the 2 audio outs off the SCART lead inside the SCART connector (can't remember the pins, sorry, but someone on here will know, or support may be able to help you).

John Dawson (Arcam)

John,

You are right of course. I'm looping the DVD player though a couple of other devices until I get a component to HD15 (VGA) cable to use progressive scan on my plasma. Just goes to show that you should never jump to conclusions, I was certain the Arcam was faulty but it seems it's not. The dilema I'm in now though is although the DV78 has a good CD sound, I now feel I want better like the Cryus CD6. How much improvement in the sound would the 88+ give?

Just wanted to complete this a bit, I shall be testing other DVD players for Video performance this weekend. The DV78 has fantastic video performance, and very good CD replay. I am a bit of an audiophile and once I have heard such hights as the Cyrus CD6 I want to have better.

After all the saga the I just wanted to say the Arcam was not faultu after all and John has been spot on with his prognosis, faulty scart connection.

I'll report back later on best PQ, and what CDP I get.

Cheers

Harvey

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this still apply if I'm using an RGB only scart (only picture so not fully wired).

8. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If your scart lead is not fully wired and is not connecting to the analogue outs then no problem, however all scart AFAIK carry audio as well as various types of video. It shouldn't matter anyway as I think it was just a bad lead/connection that caused my problem.

9. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took my AV8 into the dealer last night and that is definiltey the problem, which I'm sort of glad about because at least now it will be sorted, after months of thinking it was DVD player, or speakers or a dodgy cable.