1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV29 - Playback stalls for approx 2 seconds

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ihan, Oct 2, 2005.

1. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

When playing DVD-R (datawrite grey 8x) discs, occasionally, the playback pauses for approximately 2 seconds and then carries on as normal. If I rewind over the same passage, it plays ok. The offending passages are not where 'layer breaks' occur on the original disc. The discs play fine on my pc. I used to own a DV79 - that machine was ok.

I wonder if anyone could give an insight into what could be happening here.
    Is this what happens when the player cannot read the disc momentarily? Should I try a different brand of disc? Is the transport defective? Should I return the player to Arcam for repair?

Regards,
    Ian

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    try a different make of disc first

3. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My DV27 seems to prefer +R to -R, it also seems quite fussy about the quality of the disc. Alternatively try burning at a slower speed.

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I contacted Arcam support and they had listed two common answers:

1. Layer break on a dual layer disc - this is not applicable here.
    2. Some early versions of firmware had the problem. Arcam did not think the latest firmware (v5.25) was faulty.

Now, I recently upgraded to v5.25. I am going to revert back to v5.13 (the firmware I successfully used with my DV79) to see if it makes any difference. Though I will have to watch several films in order to be certain the firmware makes any difference.

If this doen't fix matters, then they suggested returning the unit to Arcam in order for the transport to be changed. I'll keep you informed.

Regards,
    Ian

5. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

Well, I have watched 9 films with v5.13 & 11 films with v5.17 (on exactly the same grey datawrite 8x -R media) without a single pause. That proves (to my satisfaction), that there is a bug in the v5.25 firmware. BTW, I use the analogue component output - just in case anyone at Arcam wants to start investigating.

Regards,
    Ian

6. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Ian,

I'd suggest you post your findings direct back to Arcam support and they will start the investigation on the back of that, and hopefully supply a new software update soon. As much as this forum is very useful to all us Arcamanites, it's not an official Arcam support forum ;)

Cheers

Andy

7. Dean_S

Dean_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian

Thanks for the info. Irrespective of whether this an official Arcam support forum, your findings are very useful. I don't suppose youre bothered about whether Arcam start an 'investigation' or not. You have solved your issue. I know some Arcam employees (/directors?) read this forum and if they wish to act on your info, that is upto them! Perhaps you should contact Arcam and get on their payroll as a firmware tester :devil: