1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV29 Performance

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by steve1056, Aug 21, 2005.

1. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm thinking about buying a DV29 and would appreciate answers to the questions below from any of you that own one.

Q1. Have you encountered any sound drop-outs at all?

Q2. How noticeable are layer changes?

Q3. Any problems with this player?

Cheers,
    Steve

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Only during the layer change.
    Not as good as on my Toshiba SD-900e, but not too bad. You get used to the slight pause after a few discs. Some discs have a longer pause than others, so a lot is down to how well the DVD is authored.
    The only problem is as mentioned above, but I would still buy this player knowing about the layer change pause.

Mark.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is a sound purchase, I have recently added it to the collection...no worries player.

4. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the quick response.

5. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    As stated by Mark the layer change is not the quickest around. As it was virtually invisible on my previous (Meridian) player, I was rather surprised. I'm used to it now though!
    Overall, I think it is an excellent player. Prior to purchase, I compared it to the NAIM DV5. For DVD replay there was little between them. The NAIM player had the edge for CD reply - I don't know if you intend to use it for CD replay?
    Ultimately, I found the Arcam to be a more mature and less idiosyncratic product than the Naim; and judging by the posts on the Naim forum there seem to have been many Bugs to fix since the product launch. Still Arcam have been making DVD players for many years.

6. Guy Verbist

Guy Verbist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm, no.

Not bad, but certainly not invisible.

The only fairly consistent problem I've noticed is with the front display tracking which audio track is playing on a CD. It occasionally gets wedged at 00:00, despite the CD obviously continuing to play. It doesn't affect my listening pleasure, but makes it a bit difficult to work out which track you're on, or where in that track ;)

I'll add that with the usual disclaimers about it being a DVD player, CD reproduction is excellent to my ears. If you're looking for a 50/50 DVD/CD device, this may be the box for you.

Cheers,

Guy

p.s. from a UI point of view, track selection on a CD is a bit of a mess. Press the number for the track? Nope. If memory serves you need to press search, then the track number, then OK. Why press one button when you can press three? :rotfl: I'm sure there's something else that just pressing digits might control, but I find the whole thing a bit of a pain.

7. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm really looking for a player that is excellent for both DVD and CD. I currently have a Denon 2200 which handles the layer changes without any problem and plays SACD as well as DVD-A. However, the Denon suffers drop-outs and CD replay is inadequate to my ears, resulting in me having a separate CD player.

The DV29 sounds like a viable option, if I can put up with its deficiencies.

Thanks again for all the input.

8. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I'm not sure how different the CD replay is on the DV29 compared to the DV89 which I own but the quality of replay is much better than you'd expect from a DVD device but don't expect your money's worth in quality because a stand alone CD device WILL provide better sound.

The sound from the Arcam (mine) is what I would call rich and warm with sweet treble.

Whether the CD replay comes upto the sort of expectation you require depends on what you have owned before and/or what you have heard is capable. Personally as good as it is and certainly betters my Sony 7700 DVD player (renowned for good CD playback) it does not come close to a Pink Triangle Litaural of which I own.

As for the layer switch over theres approximately a 2 sec delay on the 89. Clearly noticable but wouldn't disregard it just because of this because it provides an excellent component output with some lucious vibrant tones.

I guess the DV29 has HDMI which well should be scorching.

The remote is pants afaik (DV89),the DV29 doesn't get much better I believe, nothing lights up in the dark and no buttons are sized/coloured to enable familiarisation and easy touch control. If I could replace it with a do-it-all user friendly and stylish remote I would.